History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Aqueduct at Ngr St68474874

A Grade II Listed Building in Coleford, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.237 / 51°14'13"N

Longitude: -2.4527 / 2°27'9"W

OS Eastings: 368491

OS Northings: 148742

OS Grid: ST684487

Mapcode National: GBR MX.2BDV

Mapcode Global: VH89W.F5QK

Entry Name: Former Aqueduct at Ngr St68474874

Listing Date: 10 June 1975

Last Amended: 25 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175761

English Heritage Legacy ID: 267856

Location: Coleford, Mendip, Somerset, BA3

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Parish: Coleford

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Listing Text

COLEFORD CP SPRINGERS HILL (North side)
ST64NE
9/73 Former Aqueduct at NGR ST 6847
4874
(previously listed as Aqueduct at
The Grove)
10.6.75
- II

Aqueduct. 1800-1801 for Dorset and Somerset Canal. Coursed masonry blocks with furrowed dressings, much of the ashlar robbed. Two semi-circular arches approx 10m wide and slightly less in height, approach abutments with curved revetment
walls splayed back from each side of the bed of the former canal, parapets/canal trough/tow path missing, arches with keys, masonry coursed right through; masonry mostly survives on north-east and south-west revetments, one pilaster buttress on the former, 2 on the latter. Crosses a pathway/drive and a stream. The Dorset and Somerset Canal was intended to link the Kennet and Avon Canal to the River Stour in Dorset (Act of Parliament 1796). This section carried the canal down the valley from the Nettlebridge collieries. Canal abandoned 1803 through lack of finance. Inscribed stone, possibly from the aqueduct believed to survive at the village of Chantry, inscribed:- "Aqueduct Ere Anno 1801".
The whole structure is in a poor state of repair (June 1985). (Clew K.R., The Dorset and Somerset Canal, 1971).


Listing NGR: ST6849148742

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.