This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9728 / 50°58'22"N
Longitude: -3.1016 / 3°6'5"W
OS Eastings: 322747
OS Northings: 119845
OS Grid: ST227198
Mapcode National: GBR M1.M214
Mapcode Global: FRA 46DJ.TQ9
Entry Name: Barton Grange
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176751
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270963
Location: Corfe, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3
District: Taunton Deane
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST2219 CORFE VILLAGE
12/20 Barton Grange
Kitchen wing of country house, now flats, Mid C16, altered early C17, extensively
remodelled early Cl9, largely demolished 1931. Rendered over rubble exposed quoins west
front, hipped slate roof behind parapet with moulded cornice, large stall south-west
corner, another to rear. Plant rectangular wing of larger U-plan building facing west
and now demolished, stair turret on north front. Three storeys, single bay of original
7-bay (west) elevation, 7-bay returns. West end: second storey 2-light window in
truncated opening, carved console brackets to lintel and amputated jambs, flat string
below, first floor tall C19 mullioned and transomed window, ground floor early C20
flat roofed canted bay with leaded lights; irregular fenestration in returns, Cl9
Tudor arch head windows ground floor west front,main entrance via stair turret. There is
a moulded depressed 4-centered arch doorway in wall to rear wing with date stone beside:
"WFG(oodenough)1747". Interior: partially seen, stick stair, C18 panelling on first
floor and C16 stonefire surround. In poor condition at time of survey (March 1985).
This was the site of the Prior of Taunton's summer residence which was purchased at
the Dissolution by Humphrey Colles. He is said to have had a very grand mansion here
and lies with his descendants in the Church of St Andrew and St Mary, Pitminster (qv).
Collinson declares that the mansion was built in the C17 from who it passed in the
female line to a friend of Gainsborough's Goodenough Earl, whose grandfather Stuart
Goodenough died here in 1720. Lady Cooper extensively remodelled the house in the
early C19 and it was mostly demolished in 1931. It is illustrated in Escott. What
remains is disappointing, the only external feature of quality is the mutilated
second floor window on the west front. (SANHS Proceedings, Vol 77,1931; Pevsner,
Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Collinson, 4 History of Somerset,
Vol 3, 1791;Escott, Somerset: Historical, Descriptive 1910).
Listing NGR: ST2274719845
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings