History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Welshampton and Lyneal, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9087 / 52°54'31"N

Longitude: -2.8434 / 2°50'36"W

OS Eastings: 343374

OS Northings: 334913

OS Grid: SJ433349

Mapcode National: GBR 7C.NZSN

Mapcode Global: WH89T.947Z

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 27 May 1953

Last Amended: 25 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177141

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260893

Location: Welshampton and Lyneal, Shropshire, SY12

County: Shropshire

Parish: Welshampton and Lyneal

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Welshampton St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Listing Text

WELSHAMPTON C.P. WELSHAMPTON
SJ 42 SW

9/196 Church of St. Michael
- (formerly listed as
27.5.53 Church of St. Michael
and All Angels)
GV II
Parish church. 1863 by George Gilbert Scott, on site of earlier church,
for Frances Mainwaring and Salusbury Kynaston Mainwaring in memory of
Charles Kynaston Mainwaring of Oteley (q.v. under Ellesmere Rural).
Snecked yellow sandstone ashlar; slate roofs with lozenge patterns to
nave, zig-zag patterns to chancel and porch and plain bands to aisle
and vestry. Stepped coped verges to nave and cast-iron Celtic cross
to east end of chancel. Nave and apsidal chancel with bellcote at junction; north porch, south aisle and south-east vestry/organ chamber.
Late Early English Style. Nave. North side has stepped gabled buttresses to west corner. Moulded cill band and chamfered plinth continued
to porch, west end and south aisle. Two 2-light windows with plate
tracery and hoodmoulds with foliated stops to left of porch and single
trefoil-headed lancet also with foliated label-stops to right. Porch
has decorated Celtic cross to gable and pointed moulded outer doorway
with 2 orders of shafts and hoodmould with head-stops. Small triple
lancets to each side. Pointed inner doorway, moulded with single order
of shafts, has foliated label-stops to hoodmould. Scissor-braced roof
has hanging cast-iron lamp. Gabled bellcote at junction with chancel
has twin-pointed openings divided by circular shaft with foliated capital;
blind quatrefoil to each side and Celtic cross to apex. West end has
3-light window with plate tracery and head-stops to hoodmould. Lean-
to south aisle, unbuttressed in 4 bays, has diagonal buttress to west
corner and twin-gabled buttress to east corner. Paired lancets except
for west wall, which has 2-light plate tracery window, all with foliated
label-stops to hoodmoulds. Lean-to south-east vestry has pointed arch-
way to left with foliated label-stops and inner cusped trefoil-headed
doorway approached by flight of 3 steps; narrow rectangular window with
shouldered head to right. East wall has paired lancets with blind trefoil
heads and stack in form of stepped gable to south-east corner has top
rebuilt in concrete. Steps to boiler house below. Apsidal chancel
with moulded plinth and stepped cill band is buttressed in 4 unequal
bays with foliage decoration below cill band to buttresses and incised
decoration above. Carved corbel table. 3 broad lancets with head-
stops to semi-circular end and 2-light window with plate tracery and
head-stops to north side. Cast-iron downpipes and rainwater heads with
blind quatrefoils all round church. Interior. Nave has trussed rafter
roof supported on miniature stone octagonal shafts; stone corbel table.
Panelled roof to chancel with foliated bosses and foliage decoration
to stone cornice. Pointed moulded chancel arch with head-stops and
foliated capitals to clustered marble shafts. Pointed 4-bay south nave
arcade has large marble columns with moulded stone bases and capitals;
foliage decoration to label-stops of hoodmoulds. West respond has 3
marble shafts and east respond has 2 marble shafts flanking corbelled
stone responds. Benches in nave and aisle by Scott have brass sconces
with foliage decoration and twisted shafts. Harmonium in front of pointed
arch with wooden Gothic screen leading to vestry/organ chamber has C19
copy of Van Eyck's Ghent altar piece. Richly decorated font with 4
marble shafts has octagonal wooden cover with wrought-iron work. Stone
pulpit has marble shafts to base and sides. Encaustic tiles in raised
chancel and sanctuary, windows of which have marble shafts with foliated
stone capitals. Choir stalls and sconces by Scott and wooden Gothic
screen in segmental pointed arch with marble shafts and foliated capitals
leading to organ chamber. 2 sedilia with trefoil heads on south and
trefoil-headed credence shelf on north. Alabaster reredos, wooden communion table and brass altar rails probably also by Scott as is brass candelabrum hanging from roof. Oak chest against west wall of nave probably late C17 or early C18. Brass plate above records that church was built in 1863 in memory of Charles Kynaston Mainwaring and stained glass in west window also in his memory. Glass in north-west window of nave commemorates Jeremiah Lehopena Mashueshue (died 1863), son of Moshesh, "Paramount Chief of Busuto Land, South Africa". More glass of 1863
in chancel. West window of south aisle has late C19 glass to Revd.Charles
Mainwaring and south-east window (1885) is in memory of Henrietta Margaret
Peel. No monuments of note. The medieval church on the site was replaced by one built in 1788 for Mary Kynaston of Oteley, which was in turn demolished by Scott. B.o.E. p. 309; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908) p. 778; appendix, p. 1012;


Listing NGR: SJ4337434913

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.