History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thurlaston, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5871 / 52°35'13"N

Longitude: -1.2603 / 1°15'37"W

OS Eastings: 450210

OS Northings: 299072

OS Grid: SP502990

Mapcode National: GBR 8MW.S6H

Mapcode Global: WHDJN.M71G

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Location: Thurlaston, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE9

County: Leicestershire

District: Blaby

Parish: Thurlaston

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Listing Date: 7 October 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188988

Source ID: 1177364

Listing Text

THURLASTON CHURCH STREET
SP 59 NW
7/66
7.10.57 Church of All Saints

II*

Parish church. C13 and C15 west tower. South aisle demolished 1778. Much
restored 1840s and 1850 by Stephen Fry, who rebuilt and extended east end of
north aisle, added vestry, and renewed all tracery. Chancel arch renewed 1861.
Tower restored 1897. Granite rubble with stone dressings and slate roofs. West
tower, nave, north aisle with organ chamber in east bay, north vestry, chancel.
West tower is of 3 stages with chamfered plinth and strings, battlements and
slits to south east stairs. Bell chamber has C19 2-light traceried openings,
and slits below. On west side are a C19 3-light traceried window and door in
C19 4-centred arch. South side has stair door with Caernarvon arch. Other
windows are all in decorated style with tracery, hood moulds and carved stops.
South side of nave has ashlar plinth, moulded sill string, stone eaves corbels,
and 3 bays of 3-light windows. Off-set buttresses. North aisle has 3-light
windows to north, another to west, and traceried triangular window to east.
Blocked north door with moulded arch, hood mould and carved head stops. East
bay is totally C19. Chancel has stone string, cornice and frieze, and 3 bays
of 3-light windows to south. Also on south side is small moulded doorway with
dogtooth ornament and shafted jambs. Large 5-light east window with shaft jambs.
Interior has been stripped of plaster except in chancel. Chamfered tower arch
on moulded piers with moulded capitals, possible re-used. Stairs are corbelled
out inside tower. C13 north arcade with 3 bays of moulded and chamfered arches
on circular piers with crocketted leaf capitals. West bay is of slightly
different build with double hollow chamfered arch, carved head corbels and label
with one carved head stop. North aisle has tomb recess with fine moulded ogee
arch and finial, and 2 C19 moulded arches on shafted piers to chancel. C19
chancel arch, moulded, on half-shafts with foliage scroll capitals. North and
south walls of chancel have cusped arched recesses at east end, both moulded,
south ogee. Pair of cusped ogee recesses with crockets re-sited in vestry.
C19 roofs, that to chancel with trusses on short wall posts with wooden columns.
Late C19-C20 glass and other fittings, including carved stone and mosaic reredos
of 1882. Monuments in north aisle: C14 effigy of Ralph de Turvile in tomb recess;
tomb slabs of Hugh Turvile 1347 and Agnes Turvile 1349, carved with effigies
and inscriptions, the figure of Agnes half concealed by surface of slab; very
fine early C15 tomb chest with ogee side niches containing shield-bearing angels,
and effigies of knight and lady, said to be John and Katherine Turvile 1509.
Wall memorial to Edward and Jane Turvyle of New Halle Parke, 1619, with pair
of oval portrait reliefs in surround with Ionic pilasters, broken pediment and
coat of arms. Another wall memorial to Elizabeth Turvyle, 1653, with half port-
rait, rather melancholy with head on hand and elbow on scull, in cartouche with
scrolled pediment.
(J O Hulme, The History of Thurlaston)


Listing NGR: SP5021099072

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.