This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6791 / 52°40'44"N
Longitude: -1.5374 / 1°32'14"W
OS Eastings: 431372
OS Northings: 309146
OS Grid: SK313091
Mapcode National: GBR 6HW.24J
Mapcode Global: WHCGT.CX4H
Entry Name: The Sir John Moore Church of England School
Listing Date: 16 December 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177850
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187906
Location: Appleby Magna, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE12
District: North West Leicestershire
Parish: Appleby Magna
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Appleby Magna and Swepstone with Snarestone and Norton-juxta-Twycross
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 30 NW
TOP STREET (east side)
The Sir John Moore Church of England School
School, 1697. Architect: Sir William Wilson. Red brick with stone
dressings, quoins, string courses and leaded mullion and transom windows.
Stone cornice and brick and stone parapet hides C20 roofing material replacing
lead. Central section of 2 storeys and 5 windows recessed behind arcade of
less than 1 storey. 2 crossing side wings of 2 windows each, 3 storeys, on
stone plinth containing basement. Arcade of five round arches with stone
dressings, floor flags and cornice. Within, a round arched central doorway
up 5 semi-circular stone steps. Round headed oak door of 8 fielded panels
in two leaves. Above 5 tall windows with alternating segmental and triangular
pediments. Upper floor has five circular windows, the centre containing a
clock dial. 2 pairs of tall rectangular brick stacks, axially placed above
inner wall of wings. Large central circular wood and leaded-light lantern
with dome and ball finial. On roof the clock bell inscribed I.S. 1585.
On right front a c1900 2 storey and basement wing in similar style.
Otherwise original windows as on left front. Left front of 5 windows
and central doorway with bolection moulded surround, 2-light fanlight over
and cornice on consoles. Later doorway to left. Doors reached by platform
and 2 sets of stone steps with stone wall and entry to basement below. Rear
copies front facade but for C18/19 red brick one storey addition of four
windows in recessed central section. Arcade cornice re-used. To left a
C19 extruded red brick -stair turret with original tall windows re-inserted.
Ground floor of this original with left arch of arcade re-used as glazed
doorway. Interior: Great Hall fills centre part and is plain but for
oak-panelled dado carved with scholars names and dates and on left wall a
niche the segmental pediment of which contains the Moore arms in a cartouche.
Within a life-sized hatted statue by Wilson of Sir John Moore in Alderman's
dress, the niche being flanked by pilasters ornamented with carvings of
the City mace and sword. Pedestal of statue bears a plaque inscribed "To
the memory of Sir John Moore, Knight and Alderman of the City of London,
who erected this School A.D. 1697, and endowed the same for ye education
of ye male children of the parishes and towns of Appleby, Norton, Austrey,
Newton-in-ye-Thistles, Stretton-in-ye-Field, Mesham, Snarston, Chilcot
and by ye statutes made A.D. 1706 it was made free for all England". Below
either side stone bolection moulded doorways. At right end a C19 gallery.
Listing NGR: SK3137209146
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings