This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6915 / 52°41'29"N
Longitude: -1.4572 / 1°27'25"W
OS Eastings: 436785
OS Northings: 310565
OS Grid: SK367105
Mapcode National: GBR 6HS.BDC
Mapcode Global: WHDHZ.LL9Y
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 24 November 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178132
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187988
Location: Swepstone, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, LE67
District: North West Leicestershire
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Appleby Magna and Swepstone with Snarestone and Norton-juxta-Twycross
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SWEPSTONE CHURCH STREET (west side)
SK 31 SE
5/96 Church of St. Peter
Church of C14, C15 and C19. W tower, nave with aisles, and chancel.
Mainly of C14, C15 clerestory, tower cased 1842 with ashlar, chancel
rebuilt in 1869 and S porch in 1870. Coursed rubble and ashlar. Plain
tiled roof with stone coped gables to chancel and porch, battlements to
nave, aisles and tower. Buttresses and angle buttresses with set-offs
overall. Windows mainly have hood-moulds with carved head label stops.
Tower of 2 stages with Perp lights to belfry, W window with cusped Y
tracery, small W door and pinnacles. N aisle W window with Intersected
tracery, otherwise renewed Curvilinear. Blocked N door. S aisle
E window with Intersected tracery, otherwise Y. S door with hood-mould.
Curvilinear style chancel windows. Interior: 4 bay arcades with double
chamfered arches, outer dying into wall. Restored low-pitched roof of
4 bays: cambered moulded tie beams, wall-pieces and braces on renewed
stone corbels. Flat-topped 2-light clerestory windows with Perp tracery.
Chancel with boarded arched roof. C19 pews, boxed in aisles. Finely
carved choir stalls of 1886 and pulpit of 1887. Organ with painted front
pipes. C19 stained glass in E and SE windows with NE window by Powell,
Highgate, c1930. C17-C19 wall monuments, alabaster tomb chest with effigy
of William Humfrey of 1591 and mediaeval effigy of a Lady, wearing a
wimple, on embattled arcaded tomb chest decorated with shields within
quatrefoils. Small cusp-headed niche in S aisle.
Listing NGR: SK3678510565
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings