History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Colwall, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0785 / 52°4'42"N

Longitude: -2.3822 / 2°22'55"W

OS Eastings: 373902

OS Northings: 242309

OS Grid: SO739423

Mapcode National: GBR 0FY.QJV

Mapcode Global: VH939.N0GX

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 6 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1178404

English Heritage Legacy ID: 151417

Location: Colwall, County of Herefordshire, WR13

County: County of Herefordshire

Parish: Colwall

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Colwall and Upper Colwall

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Listing Text

SO 74 SW COLWALL CP -

3/17 Church of St James

6.3.67

GV II*


Church. C12 with additions by H Woodyer 1865. Grey, brown and red sandstone,
tiled roofs. 5 bay nave with south aisle, chancel and vestry by Woodyer, C14 -
C15 south west tower in three stages with diagonal buttresses and off-sets.
East wall of tower has scars of 3 lancets about 8 feet from the ground reputed
once to have contained a statue of a pieta. Timber-framed south porch, probably
C17, with ogee-headed wicket-gate. South aisle has restored C13 'Y' tracery
and lancets; west nave window is of 3 trefoil headed lights. South entrance
has late C13 trumpet capitals with roll moulding over beaded and studded
medieval door. Interior: nave of 5 bays with cylindrical columns to C13 south
arcade; the 3 western capitals are in grey stone with heads amid stiff-leaves;
north arcade is dated 1880. Double collar nave roof, possibly C16, supported
by arch-braces and with 2 rows of wind-braces, the lower one cusped on the
bottom side. Inserted tie-beam at junction of first and second bay from east
is inscribed RM RC/1675 indicating restoration. Font heavily re-cut perhaps
C13. Western part of south aisle has 2 sets of wind-braces; C18 hatchment;
brass plaque to Elizabeth Harford dated 1590, fragments of late medieval stained
glass to head of east window. Pulpit with tester, heavily restored early C17.
3 bay chancel has arch-brace C19 roof, piscina and 'muscular' trefoiled sedile.
North aisle: tile in north wall, probably late C13 from Malvern tile works
indicating the labour for the month of March; C19 pews inscribed back 'Grocers'
School' for local pupils. Wind-brace design to nave roof is very similar to
that of the Church of St John, Mathon (qv) which even has a similar but unsigned
and undated tie-beam.


Listing NGR: SO7390242309

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.