History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Holy Rood Church, Now a Merchant Navy Memorial

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bargate, City of Southampton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8997 / 50°53'58"N

Longitude: -1.4035 / 1°24'12"W

OS Eastings: 442045

OS Northings: 111301

OS Grid: SU420113

Mapcode National: GBR RQV.GV

Mapcode Global: FRA 76YQ.H25

Entry Name: Former Holy Rood Church, Now a Merchant Navy Memorial

Listing Date: 14 July 1953

Last Amended: 8 October 1981

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1178862

English Heritage Legacy ID: 135834

Location: Southampton, SO14

County: City of Southampton

Locality: Bargate

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Southampton City Centre St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Listing Text

1. HIGH STREET
5239 (east side)

Former Holy Rood Church,
now a Merchant Navy
Memorial
(formerly listed as
Ruins of Holy Rood Church)
SU 4211 4/137 14.7.53

II*

2.
This was built in 1320, rebuilt in 1849-50 retaining parts of the C14 chancel
and aisles and the south-west tower and spire and was bombed during the Second
World War. The ruins were restored in 1957 as a memorial to merchant seamen.
C14 built of stone rubble. Tower walls intact up to springing of tower roof
but the wooden spire has gone. Three stages with tall Y-tracery window on
the south side at the top of the first stage and 2-light cusples windows,
with circular tracery, to the belfry. Chancel remains substantially intact
with 2 perpendicular windows in the south wall. Blocked outline of a trefoiled
sedilia in the south wall. Under the tower is a memorial fountain, erected
in 1912-13 for those who lost their lives in the Titanic Dfisaster, removed
from its original site in Cemetery Road, the Common Stone Drinking Fountain,
supported on 4 stone columns. Curved pediment on each side with carving depicting
the 'Titanic' 4 columned cupola over all. The ruins of the church are scheduled
as an ancient monument.


Listing NGR: SU4200611268

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.