History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Wilfrid

A Grade I Listed Building in North Muskham, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1186 / 53°7'6"N

Longitude: -0.8088 / 0°48'31"W

OS Eastings: 479821

OS Northings: 358597

OS Grid: SK798585

Mapcode National: GBR CL2.DCJ

Mapcode Global: WHFH9.KW23

Entry Name: Church of St Wilfrid

Listing Date: 11 August 1961

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1178997

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242768

Location: North Muskham, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG23

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Parish: North Muskham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: North Muskham

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Listing Text

SK 75 NE NORTH MUSKHAM MAIN STREET
(east side)

7/64 Church of
St. Wilfrid
11-8-61
G.V. I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16. Coursed rubble and large
dressed stone, with ashlar dressings. West tower, nave, north
and south aisles, chancel, south porch. West tower, C14 and C15,
2 stages, has chamfered plinth, string course, eaves band with
masks and 8 gargoyles, moulded crenellated parapet. 4 corner
buttresses, single setoff, those to east engaged with aisles.
First stage has to west, a cusped ogee headed lancet in square
headed reveal with hood mould, and above, a single lancet. Above
again, clock. North side has C19 lean-to building with slab roof
and door to stokehole. Second stage has 4 C15 cusped head double
lancet bell openings with Decorated tracery, chamfered mullions,
chamfered and rebated reveals with hood moulds, mask and shield
stops. All restored. Nave, 3 bays, has coved eaves, 4
gargoyles, crenellated parapet and east gable with cross. On
each side, 4 restored C15 triple lancets with cusped four centred
arched heads, coved mullions,splayed reveals and hood moulds.
North aisle, C15, has chamfered and moulded plinth, sill band,
eaves band and crenellated parapet. To west, gabled stone
chimney. Pair of diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs, with Barton arms
in square panels, and a similar intermediate buttress. North
side has to east 2 C15 elliptical headed quadruple lancets with
simple panel tracery, coved mullions, coved and chamfered
reveals, and hood mould. To west, restored elliptical headed
doorway with chamfered reveal and hood mould. East end has
restored C15 triple lancet with Tudor arched heads, hood mould
and mask stops. South aisle, C15, 3 bays, has chamfered plinth,
string course, coved eaves band with gargoyles,and crenellated
parapet. East end has a C15 triple lancet with coved mullions
and reveal and hood mould. South side has to east 2 restored C15
triple lancets with cusped heads, coved mullions and reveals and
hood moulds, that to east with mask stops. West end has C16
double lancet with cusped trefoil heads, coved mullion and
splayed reveal with triangular head. Chancel, C15, 2 bays, has
chamfered plinth, string course, coved eaves band with gargoyles,
moulded crenellated parapet and east gable with cross. To east,
a pair of diagonal buttresses, 3 setoffs, and on each side a
similar intermediate buttress. North side has 2 restored C15
quadruple lancets with elliptical heads and panel tracery and
hood moulds with mask stops. East end has C15 quintuple lancet
of similar design, with coved mullions, coved reveal, and hood
mould with mask stops. South side has off-centre priest's door
with cove and roll moulded surround and hood mould with mask and
foliate stops. Flanked by single quadruple lancets identical to
those on north side. South porch, C15, has chamfered plinth,
string course, coved eaves band with gargoyles, crenellated
parapet and coped gable with cross. Pair of diagonal buttresses,
2 setoffs. Pointed south doorway with moulded and rebated
surround, round responds with moulded bases and crenellated
capitals, splayed outer reveal, and hood mould with mask stops.
Interior has stone benches and C15 low pitched roof with reeded
arched tie beams. Inner south doorway, C13, with chamfered and
rebated head and hood mould, containing C15 plank door, 2 leaves,
with strap hinges and C18 latch. Nave north arcade, C13, 3 bays,
has 2 octagonal piers with altered round bases and moulded
capitals. Octagonal east respond has flanking shafts, square
bases and moulded capitals. Octagonal west respond has moulded
octagonal base and square waterleaf capital. Double chamfered
and rebated arches with hood moulds and mask stops. South
arcade, C15, 3 bays, has 2 unequal-sided octagonal piers running
direct into arches, flanking shafts with round bases and
octagonal capitals. Splayed and rebated arches with hood moulds.
Low pitched C15 roof with moulded arched tie beams on moulded
curved brackets. Moulded purlins and foliate bosses. Alternate
brackets have figures holding shields. Tower arch has a pair of
half-octagonal responds with moulded bases and capitals. C20
timber screen and above, organ case with projecting console
filling the arch. North aisle has to west a window with stained
glass panels with Barton rebus and to east a window with similar
C15 stained glass fragments in the head. East window has stained
glass, 1938. East end has to south a C15 plank door to rood
loft. C15 lean-to roof on corbels, with moulded principal
timbers. South aisle has to east a C20 traceried panelled timber
screen. To south, a C20 aumbry and a C13 style piscina. East
window has fragments of C15 stained glass with Barton rebus.
West window has stained glass c.1913. C15 lean-to roof with wall
plate on corbels, chamfered principal timbers and foliate bosses.
Chancel arch C14, restored, coved and rebated with hood mould and
moulded round responds with moulded bases and capitals. Large,
heavily cusped 5-bay screen, partly C15 and C20, with nodding
crested canopy forming rood loft. Above,carved and painted
rood. Chancel, 2 bays, has east window with stained glass,
c.1905. East end has to south a restored C15 piscina with
elliptical head. To north, aumbry with C19 Decorated style
surround with crocketed pinnacles and ogee finial. C15 style
roof, restored, with curved brackets on corbels, moulded timbers
and foliate bosses and shields with monograms. Fittings include
traceried panelled timber pulpit, C19 lectern on octagonal timber
stem, moulded octagonal font on octagonal stem, inscribed 'H B
Feb 20 1662 CM RSAC', with timber cover carrying figure on
brackets, 1931. Remains of C14 Decorated style oak screen, C17
chip carved chest with legs, C17 moulded oak table with turned
legs, late C17 altar rail with panelled newels and turned
balusters. Disused eggcup font bowl and C20 timber reredos.
C19 linked chairs, C20 oak stalls, incorporating fragments of C15
work and fleur de lys finial. Monuments include truncated
rectangular pyramid with incised arrises, on chamfered base, to
John Smithe, 1583. Painted alabaster and slate wall monument
with drapedincised panel in moulded surround, with apron and
above, draped arms, to William Woolhouse, 1664. Inlaid slate
tablet, 1822, Classical marble and slate tablet with Egyptian
influence, 1827, slate tablet with oval brass cartouche, 1827,
Classical marble and slate tablet, 1853, brasses 1874 and 1913.
Timber war memorial in gabled cabinet, 1918.


Listing NGR: SK7982058595

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.