This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8996 / 50°53'58"N
Longitude: -1.4051 / 1°24'18"W
OS Eastings: 441927
OS Northings: 111291
OS Grid: SU419112
Mapcode National: GBR RQM.0K
Mapcode Global: FRA 76YQ.ND2
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 14 July 1953
Last Amended: 8 October 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1179142
English Heritage Legacy ID: 135919
Location: Southampton, SO14
County: City of Southampton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Southampton City Centre St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1. ST MICHAEL'S SQUARE
Church of St Michael
(formerly listed as
St Michael's Church)
SU 4111 3/227 14.7.53
This is the only mediaeval parish church remaining intact in central Southampton
It dates from circa 1070 when Norman immigrants were settling in this quarter
of the town and further work was done in the C12, C13, C14, C15, 1828 and
1872. It was the civic church of Southampton until 1835. Built of ashlar.
Base of central tower circa 1070 rest of tower late mediaeval. Nave west
wall is Norman but the west was rebuilt in the C14 to C15. North and south
aisles and chapels rebuilt and widened in late C14-C15 windows of various
dates but mainly C14 to C15. The steeple was added in 1732 as a landmark
for shipping. 1828-9 galleries were inserted to design of Francis Goodwin
and the aisles were heightened, the north aisle extended, the mediaeval nave
arcades replaced and new low-pitched roofs constructed. The galleries were
later removed in 1872. Two C13 trefoiled piscinas, one in the north chapel
and one against the north wall of the tower. Very fine black Tournai marble
font of circa 1170 similar to that in Winchester Cathedral. Two mediaeval
lecterns, one early C15 Flemish rescued from Holy Rood Church the other late
C15. Tomb with effigy to Chief Justice Sir Richard Lyster (died 1553) who
lived nearby at Tudor House, Bugle Street (qv). C18 and C19 tablets.
Underneath the church in the north-west corner is a late mediaeval vault which
is a scheduled ancient monument.
Listing NGR: SU4190511270
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings