Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9366 / 50°56'11"N
Longitude: -1.3753 / 1°22'31"W
OS Eastings: 443988
OS Northings: 115422
OS Grid: SU439154
Mapcode National: GBR RVM.DD
Mapcode Global: FRA 860M.N0K
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Location: Southampton, SO18
County: City of Southampton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Listing Date: 14 July 1953
Last Amended: 8 October 1981
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 135959
Source ID: 1179339
1. WESSEX LANE
5239 South Stoneham
Church of St Mary
(formerly listed as
St Mary's Church,
SU 41 NW 7/262 14.7.53
The parish church of South Stoneham and the village church of Swaythling.
Chancel C12, nave C13, north transept of 1728, south transept of 1850s by
G Guillaume and late C15 or early C16 west tower with small double uncusped
belfry lights, later battlemented parapet and C19 west doorway. Built of
stone rubble with tiled roof. The interior contains a fine late C12 chalk
chancel arch, a piscina in the north chancel wall and a late C12 Purbeck marble
font having a square bowl with incised arcading to the sides, on later clustered
shafting. Good collection of monuments including a tomb of circa 1540 in
the chancel, a wall monument to Edmund Clarke (died 1632) and a huge baroque
monument to Edward Dummer, the builder of South Stoneham House, attributed
to Hawksmoor. Late C18 and early C19 wall tablets in nave.
The churchyard contains examples of C18 headstones with cherub, skull, heavenly
crown, trumpet urn and hourglass and flower motifs and C19 oval body stones
and chest tombs.
Listing NGR: SU4255313582
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings