History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Illston on the Hill, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5858 / 52°35'8"N

Longitude: -0.9597 / 0°57'35"W

OS Eastings: 470575

OS Northings: 299174

OS Grid: SP705991

Mapcode National: GBR BQX.XVB

Mapcode Global: WHFKY.787H

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1180324

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191078

Location: Illston on the Hill, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE7

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Illston on the Hill

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Gaulby Group

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Great Glen

Listing Text

ILLSTON ON THE HILL
MAIN STREET (South Side)
SP79 NW
4/56
19. 10. 51 Manor House
II
GV
House. Late C17 and dated 1794. Coursed rubble stone with plinth, quoins and
stone dressings, rendered to side and rear in part, and red brick rear
extension. Welsh slate front and Swithland slate rear roof, with brick end
stacks. Stone band and brick dentilled eaves. L plan, short wing projecting
to rear. Main range gable facing, front to right. 2 1/2 storeys of stone
mullion windows : 3-light, 2-light, 3-light. 3-lights on ground floor have
transoms. Central stone doorway with moulded Tudor arch and 6-panelled door,
the upper 4 panels glazed. 2-light attic casement on left, facing, gable. 2
and 3-light casements and stone mullion windows to rear, where also l 1/2 storey
brick extension with Welsh slate lean-to roof. Chamfered beams and 2 late C18
fireplaces inside. Over front door a carved stone tablet with the Needham
arms and inscribed 'in parvo quies'. On band to either side 'M.H. 1794' for
Mary Heard who bought and partly rebuilt the house then. V.C.H., Vol. V.


Listing NGR: SP7057599174

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.