History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Great Saxham Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in The Saxhams, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2336 / 52°14'0"N

Longitude: 0.6208 / 0°37'15"E

OS Eastings: 579070

OS Northings: 262725

OS Grid: TL790627

Mapcode National: GBR QDW.V3H

Mapcode Global: VHJGT.Q421

Entry Name: Great Saxham Hall

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181101

English Heritage Legacy ID: 283808

Location: The Saxhams, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP29

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Parish: The Saxhams

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Great Saxham St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Listing Text

TL 76 SE GREAT SAXHAM GREAT SAXHAM HALL

5/101 Great Saxham Hall
14.7.55

- II*


A large country house, finished 1798; by Joseph Patience, a pupil of Soane. 2
storeys; stucco walls, slated roofs. A central portico on 4 giant lonic
columns, the pediment surmounted by 3 urns, and in the tympanum a cartouche
with lion rampant, flanked by palm branches. A-B-C-B-A, with service wing to
left. Beneath the portico, 3 window range of 12-light sashes (with pediments on
console brackets added c.1840). Central entrance door with architrave and pair
of 3 fielded-panel doors. Recessed bay on either side 1 window wide. End bays
each have a pair of attached lonic columns and piers flanking one sash window,
which on the ground floor is tripartite with sunk semi-circular panel above
(the right bay contains an inserted fanlight). Coade stone bas-relief ornament
within left panel is one of several ; most were removed c.1840. Mid C19 parapet
balustrading lowered c.1980. The service wing probably original but remodelled
c.1840; 6-panel side entrance door c.1798, with leaded fanlight and bas-relief
panel above. Octagonal 3-storey wing to rear has upper room originally 2
storeys high, with plaster ceiling in the style of Angelica Kauffman; ovals
with paintings of the muses, linked by delicate tracery. Other internal
features in Adam style: fire places, doorcases with entablatures, staircase
with wrought iron balustrade. Dining room has Corinthian pilasters and joinery
features of mid-C18. A stone sundial 15 yards east of house, wrought iron
scrolly gate and piers at north-east corner.not of special interest


Listing NGR: TL7907062725

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.