This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2696 / 52°16'10"N
Longitude: 0.8288 / 0°49'43"E
OS Eastings: 593109
OS Northings: 267257
OS Grid: TL931672
Mapcode National: GBR RG3.LCK
Mapcode Global: VHKD6.97Z0
Entry Name: Newe House
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1181365
English Heritage Legacy ID: 283669
Location: Pakenham, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31
District: St. Edmundsbury
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Pakenham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 9267-9367 PAKENHAM FEN ROAD
4/85 Newe House
Manor house. Late C16/early C17. 2 storeys and double attics. Red brick with
moulded brick string-course above ground storey windows, and a similar cornice
band below parapet. Flanking external chimney-stacks with square detached
diagonal shafts. Plaintiled roof. Triple Dutch gables across front. Central 5-
sided. 2-storey porch with round-arched rusticated doorway, triangular pediment
with date 1622, arms of Spring above. Large canted bay to upper storey: early
C20 cross window, with triangular pediments replace earlier sashes. Flat roof,
with a brick cornice of 5 small lunettes. On each side of porch one 4-light
and one 3-light mullion and transome window: ovolo-moulded brick mullions,
rusticated surrounds, late C19 render. In each gable, a 4-light mullioned
window with a small single-light window above. All windows have late C19 square
leaded panes. Within porch, a fine inner doorway with complex ovolo-moulding on
jambs and lintel. Said to have been built for Sir Robert Bright, who bought
extensive lands in Pakenham and surrounding parishes from the Bacons in 1601.
The date 1622 has been taken to refer to the whole construction but the main house
could be earlier, with the porch and Dutch gables as a Bright addition. Newe House
passed to the Spring family in the late 1640's, and became a dower house.
Descendants of the family owned it until the mid C19. Illustrated in Basil Oliver's
'Old Houses and Village Buildings in East Anglia' Plate LXVI.
Listing NGR: TL9310967257
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings