This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3008 / 52°18'2"N
Longitude: 1.2861 / 1°17'9"E
OS Eastings: 624148
OS Northings: 272050
OS Grid: TM241720
Mapcode National: GBR VL9.MZF
Mapcode Global: VHL9Q.7FRK
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1181714
English Heritage Legacy ID: 280276
Location: Wilby, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21
District: Mid Suffolk
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Wilby St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
WILBY THE STREET
TM 27 SW
3/156 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Medieval. Nave, chancel, south aisle, west tower, south
porch, north vestry. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Leaded roofs. Fine
C15 square tower in 3 stages with a crenellated parapet. Plinth, buttresses
and parapet enriched with flushwork. Moulded west doorway with shield-carved
spandrels; above is a frieze of flushwork and a 3-light window flanked by
empty canopied niches. 2-light belfry openings. C15 4-bay nave with 3-light
windows. Moulded north doorway (blocked). 7-bay clerestorey, faced with
knapped flint and with flushwork panelling between the windows. C15 south
aisle with 3-light windows, mostly renewed. Moulded doorway with shield-
carved spandrels; original door. Fine C15 porch of knapped flint with a
panelled stone facade. Entrance arch almost semi-circular, carved with
various motifs; enriched hoodmould with shield-carved spandrels. Above is a
row of 9 canopied niches with image stools, the centre niche larger. The
parapet has cresting. The upper face of each buttress also contains a niche.
C15 2-bay chancel with 2-light side windows and 3-light east window. Moulded
Priest's doorway. Interior 3-bay aisle arcade. Good original arched-braced
roofs to nave and chancel. The nave roof has fleuron bosses at the main
intersections and the wall posts rest on stone corbels carved as heads.
Original lean-to aisle roof with a little medieval colouring to the eastern
bays; the angels at the foot of each wall post were added in C20. Simple
piscinas in chancel and aisle. C15 octagonal font, the bowl panels carved
with angels and figures of the Apostles, all under canopies; further canopied
figures around the stem. Fine early C17 pulpit with backboard and tester, all
richly carved. Nave has a set of 27 poppyhead bench-ends of C15 date, most
with double arm-rests with mutilated carved figures. Other benches and
chancel stalls of C19 date in matching style. Medieval painting of St.
Christopher on north nave wall. Monuments to Green family at west end of
aisle: a) tomb chest with 3 ledger slabs to George Green (1739), Jane Green
(1744), Thomas Green (1730); front of tomb chest has a cartouche with 2 putto
heads; b) good wall monument with medallion portrait of George Green held by 2
putti, set against a background of draped cloth, with a coat of arms above; c)
C19 cartouche to further members of the family.
Listing NGR: TM2414872050
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings