History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Thurston, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2517 / 52°15'6"N

Longitude: 0.8247 / 0°49'29"E

OS Eastings: 592913

OS Northings: 265260

OS Grid: TL929652

Mapcode National: GBR RG8.Z6M

Mapcode Global: VHKD6.7NWQ

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 15 November 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183024

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281245

Location: Thurston, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Parish: Thurston

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Thurston St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Listing Text


TL 96 NW THURSTON CHURCH ROAD

1/142 Church of St Peter
15.11.54

-- II

Parish church, medieval but virtually rebuilt 1861 by J.H. Hakewell following
collapse of medieval tower onto nave. Chancel not rebuilt, but restored mid
C19. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, south porch, north
vestry. Flint rubble with freestone dressings: the 1861 work has bands of red
brick at springing line of windows and beneath cills, and has flushed flint
rubble parapets. Slated roofs with parapet gables to nave and chancel (the
latter has graded Westmorland slates); other roofs flat behind parapets. The
church had much good mid C14 work at the date of collapse (photographs are in
the building), much of which was faithfully restored. A little freestone was
reused, but virtually all moulded work is of 1861. Tall 2-light windows in
both aisles (several with medieval glass) are set within 5-bay blind arcades,
shallow and echoing the nave arcades, which have slender piers with attached
half-columnms. Sexfoil and quatrefoil clerestory windows: a plain archbraced
collar beam roof of 1861 replaces a C14 crownpost roof with rising braces from
tiebeams (aisle roofs are a plain copy of the original). The chancel has
large early C15 windows. The medieval vestry has been converted into an organ
chamber. Moulded late C14 chancel south doorway. C15 double piscina with
credence shelf and stepped triple sedilia, all under 5 boldly-cusped arches
with enriched spandrels. Good mid C14 octagonal font with reeded stem and
shallow foliate patterns around the bowl. The traceried 8-bay stall-fronts
for the choirstalls are of C15 origin: both have poppyhead ends, and 4 further
poppyhead ends are incorporated in the C19 stalls. 12 C15 poppyhead benches
with traceried ends in the aisles. A worn medieval slab in the south aisle
floor, and 4 others of C18/C19 in nave.


Listing NGR: TL9291365260

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.