This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.398 / 52°23'52"N
Longitude: 1.5776 / 1°34'39"E
OS Eastings: 643485
OS Northings: 283797
OS Grid: TM434837
Mapcode National: GBR XN5.PP5
Mapcode Global: VHM6R.9ZDL
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 1 September 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183123
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281992
Location: Shadingfield, Waveney, Suffolk, NR34
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Shadingfield St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
SHADINGFIELD LONDON ROAD
TM 48 SW
3/33 Church of St. John the
Parish church. Medieval, restored 1839 and 1870's. Nave, chancel, west
tower, south porch. Flint rubble, the nave plastered, the chancel with
remains of plasterwork to north and south; stone dressings; red brick porch.
Slated roofs to nave and chancel, plaintiles to porch. C15 square tower with
3-stage diagonal buttresses decorated with flushwork and crenellated parapet;
some later repair work in red brick. 2-light west window with empty statue
niche above; 2-light bell-chamber openings with later alterations in red brick.
Late C12/early C13 work to nave: 2 small semi-circular headed windows to north
and south at west end; north and south doorways, both with pointed arches, the
arch to the north doorway enriched with dogtooth moulding. The nave also has
2 2-light windows with Y tracery to the south and one 3-light Perpendicular
window to the north, all restored. Early C16 brick porch with embattled
parapet and polygonal buttresses; some ornamental courses of bricks with
flower motifs. Chancel probably C13: one lancet window to north, 2 2-light
windows with Y tracery to the south with a Priest's doorway between; C19 3-
light east window with intersecting tracery. Interior. C19 arched-braced
roof to nave (plastered); chancel roof also C19. Niche of banner stave locker
north of tower arch. No chancel arch; at the entrance to the chancel are 2
stone corbels in the form of pairs of heads which probably once supported part
of the rood loft. Simple pointed-arch piscina in south sanctuary,with sedilia
adjacent. Good C15 octagonal font, the bowl carved with shields and flowers
within foiled surrounds; 8 attached shafts to the stem; base with 4 raised
steps like a Maltese Cross, the step ends carved, (cf. All Saints, Laxfield).
Arms of Charles II on south nave wall. The organ, which stands at the west
end of the nave, has a good late C18 case. In the chancel are several C17 and
early C18 ledger slabs and brass inscriptions to the Cuddon family.
Listing NGR: TM4348583797
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings