History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Milston, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2058 / 51°12'21"N

Longitude: -1.7693 / 1°46'9"W

OS Eastings: 416214

OS Northings: 145205

OS Grid: SU162452

Mapcode National: GBR 4ZQ.9J4

Mapcode Global: VHB55.9Y0H

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 18 February 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183149

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321506

Location: Milston, Wiltshire, SP4

County: Wiltshire

Parish: Milston

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Milston with Brigmerston St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Listing Text

MILSTON CHURCH ROAD
SU 14 NE
(west side)

2/196 Church of St Mary
18.2.58
II*

Anglican parish church. C13, C14, and restored C18 and 1806 and
1906. Flint with limestone and greensand quoins and dispersed
rubble, tiled roof. Nave with south porch, north vestry, and
chancel. Nave has C14 two-light cusped windows with labels with
mask terminals. Ogee eaves course. Chancel has one lancet, and
inserted similar C14-C15 windows. C19 three-light east window. On
west gable of nave, a bellcote supported by offsetting buttresses
on west gable, meeting at arch at top, and flanking a 3-light west
window. In bellcote, one bell, said to be of c1290. Vestry at
right angles to nave, 3 north lancets and cross of flints over.
South porch is timber framed, reconstructed in C19 and
incorporating outer doorcase of c1500. Inner door C13 pointed arch
with inset half-round moulding. Sundial affixed to south wall of
nave dated 1786.
Interior: Nave plastered and flagged. C19 depressed panelled
barrel vault on brattished wallplates. C16 wallpaintings, texts
with yellow gadrooned surround on north and south walls, and panel
on west wall. Stoup by north door, now to vestry. Chancel arch
pointed and chamfered with date of repair, 1780, at apex. Sockets
for rood beam. Chancel has C15 trussed rafter roof with arch
braced collar and solid shaped ashlars to moulded wall plate. C19
north door. Piscina, altered, with credence shelf. Flowered red
line masonry painting around reveal of south lancet. Glass: East
window of 1852, south windows C20. Fittings: Font. Bulbous bowl
on short octagonal shaft and leaf carved base, probably C13.
Turned moulded cover with C20 bird terminal. Pulpit: C18, oak,
six sided with applied carved figures of probably C17. Bench ends
simply carved with stylised plants, probably C19. In chancel: C19
cusped arcaded communion rail and similar front stands to choir
stalls. Monuments: In chancel: White marble tablet with urn on
shelf against grey marble pyramid, by King. To Beata Powell, died
1797. In nave, two C20 tablets. Miscellanea: Royal arms on
panel, dated 1787, and another, early C20. Launcelot Addison was
rector from 1670-1703, and his son, Joseph, essayist and statesman,
was born at the rectory in 1672 and doubtless worshipped at this
church.


Listing NGR: SU1621445205

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.