History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II Listed Building in Idmiston, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1275 / 51°7'38"N

Longitude: -1.7295 / 1°43'46"W

OS Eastings: 419022

OS Northings: 136500

OS Grid: SU190365

Mapcode National: GBR 50R.7JQ

Mapcode Global: VHB5K.ZX0K

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 18 February 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183981

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319982

Location: Idmiston, Wiltshire, SP4

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Idmiston

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Idmiston with Porton Gomeldon St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Amesbury

Listing Text

IDMISTON WINTERSLOW ROAD, Porton
SU 13 NE
3/90 Church of St Nicholas
18.2.58
II

Anglican parish church. 1876-7, by J.L. Pearson. Flint with
brick dressings. Tiled roofs. Nave, chancel with vestry at
right angles, south porch. Nave has 2-light Decorated style
windows, 3-light to east end of chancel. Short 3-light gable
window to vestry. Mid wall string, stepping up under east and
west windows. Gable crosses. Bellcote with double openings and
crocketed gable over west end of nave. Porch has open trussed
rafter roof. Boarded inner door.
Interior: nave of 3 bays, with tie beams and facetted barrel
vault. Walls rendered, with bowtell string at base of window
embrasures Wide chancel arch. Chancel has panelled vault.
Piscina on north wall, sedilia with nook shafts on south. Oak
reredos. Fittings: font. C15 and reset. Octagonal bowl with
trefoil headed panels, and varied fleurons below. Pulpit of oak
on stone base. Sanctuary rail an oak pole on iron supports.
Monuments: one wall tablet of 1840 by Soper of Sarum, and two C20
brasses. West window glass of 1893. C17 arm chair in sanctuary.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire)


Listing NGR: SU1902236500

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.