Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0767 / 51°4'36"N
Longitude: 0.8539 / 0°51'14"E
OS Eastings: 600010
OS Northings: 134696
OS Grid: TR000346
Mapcode National: GBR RXN.DQ4
Mapcode Global: FRA D6P8.LHY
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Location: Orlestone, Ashford, Kent, TN26
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 27 November 1957
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181672
Source ID: 1184978
TR 03 SW ORLESTONE CHURCH LANE
6/87 Church of St.
Mary the Virgin
Parish church. Late C12/early C13 origin, altered C14, and heavily
restored 1883-4 by T. Blashill. Ragstone, part rendered with plain
tiled roof. Chancel, nave with shingled bell turret, western porch
and vestry to south. C19 western porch with timber upper walls on
flint and stone base, made up in part of window tracery removed here
after restoration. Trecusped bargeboard. C19 west window, a rounded
triangular oculus. Shingled turret with small lucarnes and weather
vane. Timber framed C19 south vestry. Nave and chancel with cusped
lancets to west, and 2 and 3 light windows with cusped sexfoil over,
with offset buttresses, incorporating chimney and stoke hole at
southern re-entrant to chancel. East end all of 1883-4. Interior:
double framed gallery/belfry support, possibly C17in origin, but now
largely C19. Roof of 2 tall crown posts on moulded tie-beams, all
much restored 1883. Chancel arch set within stepped-in chancel, with
heavy chamfered arch on octagonal responds with deeply undercut
capitals. Crown post roof, late Cl9. Copy of nave roof. Fittings:
simple chamfered piscina in chancel, roll moulded piscina in nave and
small ogee headed niche or stoup by south door. Good quality C19
fittings: colonette-rail to altar, choir stalls, reading desk/half-
screen to chancel wooden pinnacled lectern. Alabaster font on Early
English style column, with Evangelists' symbols on bowl sides. "Tudor"
style Roll of Honour carved wooden tablet (for 1914-18, with 1939-45
additions). Glass of 1888; 1893 and 1898 by Holiday. The glass and
monuments in the church are largely late C19/early C20 memorials to
the Oliver family. Fragments of masonry on the west wall include
late C12 (Canterbury style Early English) capitals (one dated 1884)
and 2 coffin lids with calvary crosses bottonée. Royal Arms of 1828
over west door, and painted C19 texts over chancel arch and west doorway:
In Obitu Pax : Post Tenebrus Lux. (See B.O.E. Kent I, 442).
Listing NGR: TR0002134223
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings