Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3298 / 51°19'47"N
Longitude: 0.5809 / 0°34'51"E
OS Eastings: 579903
OS Northings: 162126
OS Grid: TQ799621
Mapcode National: GBR PQJ.HPV
Mapcode Global: VHJM2.0TZZ
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Location: Bredhurst, Maidstone, Kent, ME7
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 26 April 1968
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173623
Source ID: 1185866
TQ 76 SE BREDHURST HURSTWOOD ROAD
1/116 Church of St. Peter
Parish Church. Norman and C13,heavily restored in 1866. Flint
with stone dressings and plain-tile roof. Nave and south porch
1866 in Early English style. Chancel Norman with projecting C13
south aisle, both restored in 1866. Nave has double bell-cote
on roof at east end. South Porch with wooden screen on flint
base with cusped, low-sweeping bargeboards and arched doorhead
with small moulded crown-post on crenellated beam above. South
aisle of chancel gabled. 3 single lancets, repaired externally;
one in west end, 2 in south wall. Pair of lancets in east wall.
C19 buttresses. Chancel roof lower and less steeply pitched
than that of aisle, and lower than that of nave. Triple lancet
in east end, restored externally. 4 single lancets in north wall;
3 aligned and unrestored, one presumably older much smaller and
restored, at lower level between west two. Interior: 2-bay
south arcade to chancel has single circular central chalk pier
with roll moulding to top and arches of 2 orders with plain
chamfers springing from corbels on the plain end piers. North
lancet in east wall of south chapel has an original corbelled
impost with traces of waterleaf decoration. Stepped base,
topped with a roll, of capital between north and south lancets.
Roof of C19 scissor-braced construction with collars, ashlar-
pieces, projecting moulded sole-plates and cornice. Fragment of
wall-painting above lancets in east end of south aisle and
along south wall of south aisle traces of foliated frieze in red
ochre with vertical lines below, possibly the start of a key.
Listing NGR: TQ7973162234
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings