This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.208 / 52°12'28"N
Longitude: -1.6637 / 1°39'49"W
OS Eastings: 423079
OS Northings: 256696
OS Grid: SP230566
Mapcode National: GBR 5N0.D7G
Mapcode Global: VHBXV.3RVQ
Entry Name: Former Parish Church of St James
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 4 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187755
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366130
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Alveston St James
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
604-1/2/269 Former Parish Church of St James
(Formerly Listed as:
Old Parish Church)
Chancel of former church. C18 with C19 west wall and C12
ex-situ tympanum. Painted brick on ashlar plinth, with red
brick and ashlar dressings; tile roof. Raised brick quoins and
top moulded brick cornices; ashlar-coped gables.
EXTERIOR: east window with 3-centred head and lancet tracery.
South elevation has blocked entrance to left, with brick
infill to plinth, and pointed window to right with ashlar
surround and plain panel above; 3 large wall memorial tablets
with worn inscriptions, one nowy-headed. Plain pointed west
door with plank door with straps, lancet above.
INTERIOR: tunnel-vaulted ceiling; south wall has re-set C12
tympanum in entrance recess, with worn carving of interlace,
flowers, and lamb and lion, 2 scalloped and fluted capitals.
FITTINGS: C17 panelled timber pulpit with enriched frieze and
cornice, panels with concave angles. Painting: C18 Hanoverian
Royal arms to south side.
MEMORIALS: Nicholas Lane, d.1595, upright recumbent effigy
apparently intended to be set upright; gadrooned edges to slab
with fishscale diapering; flattened figure in C16 dress with
applied face, hands and feet, standing on block with relief
couched lion, 2 small flanking figures, kneeling in prayer.
Flanking arched panels with male and female kneeling figures
facing east, each with cartouche panel above. Inscription
panel above has enriched strapwork border. Other good C18 and
C19 wall tablets, including tablet to Newsham Peers, d.1743
from wounds received at the battle of Dettingen, veined marble
with panel, scrolls to sides, broken segmental pediment with
armorial bearing, and apron with cartouche; Newsham Peers,
d.1820s, and wife: black marble tablet with white marble oval
panel and armorial bearing above with drapery tied at angles.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: London: 1966-:
65, PL 26B; VCH (offprint): Styles P: The Borough of
Stratford-upon-Avon and the Parish of Alveston: London: 1946-:
Listing NGR: SP2307956696
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings