History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Helen

A Grade II* Listed Building in Saddington, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5199 / 52°31'11"N

Longitude: -1.0315 / 1°1'53"W

OS Eastings: 465815

OS Northings: 291781

OS Grid: SP658917

Mapcode National: GBR 9Q8.XR5

Mapcode Global: VHDQK.2XKL

Entry Name: Church of St Helen

Listing Date: 18 March 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1188153

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191301

Location: Saddington, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE8

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Saddington

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Saddington St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Foxton

Listing Text

SADDINGTON
SP 69 SE MAIN STREET (South East Side)

2/80 Church of St. Helen

GV II*

Parish Church. Fabric of C13 to C14, the detail the result of a restoration
in 1872-3. Ironstone rubble with limestone ashlar dressings and Welsh slate
roofs. West tower nave with clerestory and chancel. Late C13 4 stage west
tower: second and third stages are of banded ironstone and limestone. Paired
foiled lights to bell chamber. Embattled parapet with gargoyles. West doorway
with continuous moulding and 2-light Decorated window above with re-cut
tracery. Victorian style doorway in aisle of cobble stone construction, and
Victorian tracery in a bland Decorated style to windows. Priests doorway in
tall chancel in Decorated style though the 4-light east window is in the
Perpendicular style. However the jambs of a medieval window are still visible
in the east wall. North doorway is C14: shafts and richly moulded arch,
flanked by tall Victorian statues contained in a Victorian gabled porch.
Inside, the tall west tower arch has continuous double chamfering. The arcades
appear to be late C13: clustered shafts support double chamfered arches. The
chancel arch is of 1872/3, short shafts are supported by angels as corbels.
Inside, the chancel is almost entirely Victorian in detail but the piscina
is C14 with fleurons to the cusped arch, and there is a worn probably C17
alabaster tomb slab with an incised figure. Medieval font: a plain octagonal
basin on a chamfered Victorian base.


Listing NGR: SP6581591781

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.