This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2591 / 51°15'32"N
Longitude: -0.0087 / 0°0'31"W
OS Eastings: 539045
OS Northings: 152985
OS Grid: TQ390529
Mapcode National: GBR KK6.YDW
Mapcode Global: VHGS6.SMS4
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 11 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189608
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287880
Location: Oxted, Tandridge, Surrey, RH8
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Oxted
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 35SE OXTED C.P. CHURCH LANE
6/227 Church of St. Mary
11.6.58 the Virgin
Church. C12 tower. C13 Chancel, C14 aisles and C15 porch with C19 restoratibn.
Rubblestone with brick dressings, Bargate stone to tower, rendered chancel. Plain
tiled roofs; tower roof obscured by stone coped, battlemented, parapet. Nave and aisle
with tower to west end, vestry to north and chancel chapel and porch to south. Square,
unbuttressed tower with renewed Decorated detail on bell stage. North aisle east
window original, C14, remainder renewed except for east window with planed down tracery,
reduced in 1637. Porch with hood moulding to arch and Cobham arms in spandrels. C14
door with ogee tracing and carved human heads to panels.
Interior: tiled floor, 3 bay nave arcades of compound piers with round shafts of
quatrefoil section. C14 chancel arch raised in C19 restoration dying into imposts.
Fittings: C13 priest's door in chancel. Arched piscina on south chancel wall. Octagonal
stone font with quatrefoil panel decoration on octagonal buttressed stem.
Stained glass: C14 Evangelists in tracery lights of East window. Burne Jones aisle
windi,ws to north and south by Morris and Co. 1908. Richly coloured with greens and reds
Monuments: South chancel wall: To William Finch died 1728. Baroque. White and grey
marble aedicular type with raised inscription, flanking scrolls, double cherubs below
and triangular pediment above,surmounted by Coat of Arms. Brass to John Hoskins. 1613.
Standing figure 9 inches high. Brass to Thomas Hoskins 1611 with female standing figures
North chancel wall: To John Aldersley. Died 1616. Plaster and stone. Central arched
niche with kneeling figures in profile. Ribbon and fruit decoration to arch, flanking
Pilasters with shield above in strapwork surround.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England: Surrey (1971) pp. 401-2.
Listing NGR: TQ3904252982
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings