This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5309 / 51°31'51"N
Longitude: -0.0016 / 0°0'5"W
OS Eastings: 538715
OS Northings: 183222
OS Grid: TQ387832
Mapcode National: GBR KY.B7Z
Mapcode Global: VHGQV.XSJ9
Entry Name: Abbey Mills Pumping Station
Listing Date: 6 November 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190476
English Heritage Legacy ID: 204900
Location: Newham, London, E15
Locality: Stratford and New Town
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Stratford St John with Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 3883 STRATFORD E15
6.11.74 Abbey Mills Pumping
Sewage Pumping Station 1868: Architects: Sir J Bazalgette and E Cooper in Italian
Gothic style. Greek Cross plan. Yellow brick with red and blue brick and stone
dressings. Slate mansard roof. Two storeys plus dormers. Entrance wing and the
ends of the other arms five bays wide with round headed central entrance porch.
Round headed windows with polychrome decoration. Larger central window to upper
storey divided by elaborate cast ironwork. Heavy stone string course to ground
and first floors. Modillioned eaves cornice. Elaborate timber door with foliated
ironwork. Slightly pointed yellow and red brick arches to recessed sash windows.
Central octagonal domed lantern with round arched gabled windows to each face,
containing case iron tracery. Elaborate wrought iron cresting to dome. Flamboyant
interior or enriched cast ironwork. Central octagonal lantern. Original beam
engines have been removed. Elaborate carving of stonework outside and inside.
Listing NGR: TQ3871583222
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings