History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Cuthbert

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sessay, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1663 / 54°9'58"N

Longitude: -1.2904 / 1°17'25"W

OS Eastings: 446425

OS Northings: 474729

OS Grid: SE464747

Mapcode National: GBR MNF8.F8

Mapcode Global: WHD8X.4JSX

Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert

Listing Date: 20 December 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190725

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332889

Location: Sessay, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO7

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Parish: Sessay

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Listing Text

In the entry for the following:-
SESSAY
SE 47 SE
7/31 CHURCH LANE
(East side)
Church of St Cuthbert
GV II
The Grade shall be amended to read II* (star)

------------------------------------

SESSAY CHURCH LANE
SE 47 SE
(east side)
7/31 Church of St Cuthbert
GV II
Church. 1847-8. By William Butterfield for Viscount Downe. Coursed squared stone
with ashlar dressings, graduated stone slate roof, shingled spire. 4-bay nave with
south aisle, south porch and west tower; lower 2-bay chancel with north vestry.
In early C14 Gothic style. Quoins; quoined openings; chamfered plinth and sill
string to all but south aisle; offset buttresses, diagonal to tower and chancel.
Tower: 2 offset stages; wide shallow vice on south with offsets to top and right
and slit window; 2-light west window with cinquefoil below quatrefoil window; square-
headed 2-light north window; 2-light louvred belfry openings; broached spire with
weather-cock. Nave: steeply-gabled porch has cusped wooden-arched entry, cusped
bargeboards, small 2-light windows to returns and board inner door in pointed-arched
surround of 2 chamfered orders; aisle, under shallower-pitched roof, has plain 2-
light window with ogee-arched lights on left of porch and similar 4-light window
on right, in west end a 2-light and at east end a circular window, both with
decorative tracery; north side has a 3-light and a 2-light window. Chancel: single
and 2-light south windows; east window of 3 lights with traceried circle at top
and head-stopped hoodmould; shouldered-arched vestry door and side-lights; raised
east verge with coping and cross-finial. Interior: double-chamfered tower arch;
pointed-arched aisle arcade of 2 hollow-moulded orders with simple decorative motifs;
moulded chancel arch; crown-post roof trusses with quadrant braces to nave;
encaustic tile floor with coat of arms, simple aumbry and piscina, and painted
panelled roof over altar, to chancel. Octagonal font with carved sides and tapering
octagonal wooden cover with iron finial. Simple brass set in chancel floor to
Walter Thomas Magnus, d 1550, Archdeacon of the North Riding.


Listing NGR: SE4642574729

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.