This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8329 / 50°49'58"N
Longitude: -0.2743 / 0°16'27"W
OS Eastings: 521623
OS Northings: 105127
OS Grid: TQ216051
Mapcode National: GBR HMF.PGX
Mapcode Global: FRA B69W.YSR
Entry Name: Church of St Mary De Haura
Listing Date: 8 May 1950
Last Amended: 23 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192780
English Heritage Legacy ID: 297284
Location: Adur, West Sussex, BN43
County: West Sussex
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Locality: St Mary's
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: New Shoreham St Mary de Haura
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 09/01/2013
TQ 2105 SE
Church of St Mary De Haura
Church. C1130, c1170-1230. Nave ruined during the C17 and pulled down in early C18.
West tower with single (originally nave bay to west), transeptal chapels and aisled
chancel (now nave and chancel). Remains of original nave, transystal chapels and
first stage of tower all c.1130, rest after c.1170. Flint, cobblestone with stone
dressings; Horsham slab roofs. Nave bay. West doorway reset, probably later Norman
with pointed arch and beakhead decoration. C14 pointed-arched window over. Upper
windows to sides with round-headed openings. Arcade openings visible, as in west
sides of transepts, with round piers, built into walls. Transepts: upper window, two
to each side, with round-heads and shafts. Triple arcade in south gable. Crossing
tower: first stage, c.1130, with two light openings paired on each side. Shafted
round-headed outer arch, with inner lights divided by central shaft. Second stage.
Two taller three-light openings with pointed outer arch and round-headed main arch.
Nave and chancel: 5 bays with lower aisles and 2 flying buttresses with spirelets on
each side. Plain lancets in clerestory, C19 Norman windows in aisles. East end 3
shafted windows with round heads below in deep niches. Three tall lancets above, with
mouldings above a band of quatrefoils. Wheel window in gable with renewed tracery,
lighting space above interior vault, flanked by sunk pointed quatrefoils. Interior:
east, south and north tower arches, probably c.1130, with plain arch orders and
large carved capitals. West tower arch taller with similar capitals but several
roll-mouldings to the arch order. Chancel and nave. Five bays with quadripartite
vault. Aisle walls with round-headed blank arcading and moulded arches. North
arcade. Alternately round and octagonal piers with stiff-leaf capitals. Round headed
arches of two orders. South arcade of compound attached shafts. Vaulting piers
supported on candle-brackets of north, reaching ground as part of arcade-piers to
south. Triforium of coupled lancets and stout central shaft in 8 bays to west on
north side; single openings with pointed trefoiled heads to east. North triforium of
single lancet openings with drip-moulds. Simple wide lancets in clerestory.
Fittings: Font c.1180. Shallow square bowl with each side decorated differently.
Listing NGR: TQ2162305126
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings