Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9969 / 50°59'48"N
Longitude: 0.0876 / 0°5'15"E
OS Eastings: 546586
OS Northings: 124017
OS Grid: TQ465240
Mapcode National: GBR LPY.JXQ
Mapcode Global: FRA C62G.V8Q
Entry Name: The Parish Church of St Bartholomew
Location: Maresfield, Wealden, East Sussex, TN22
County: East Sussex
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Listing Date: 26 November 1953
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 296404
Source ID: 1192995
995/26/676 BATTS BRIDGE ROAD
26-NOV-53 The Parish Church of St Bartholomew
Parish church. Circa 1080, c1260 and C14, with C15 tower, restored and transepts added by J Oldrid Scott. Nave with aisles, chancel, north and south transepts, south chapel, north porch and west tower.
EXTERIOR: C15 west tower of four stages with crenellated parapet, double trefoils to bell stage with wooden louvres and buttresses. Traceried window to west and arched doorcase with hoodmoulding and blank shields to spandrels. South wall of nave has one single and one double trefoliated window, round-headed lancet of c1080 and two buttresses. South transept has traceried windows. North nave wall has two double trefoliated headed windows and buttress. C19 north porch with sandstone base, wooden superstructure and Horsham slab roof. Two triple trefoil-headed windows to side. Shape of north doorway could be Norman. Front has fretted bargeboards and arched doorcase with trefoil to spandrels. North transept has rose window. Two bay lower chancel has double trefoil-headed windows and small pointed arched window. C19 traceried east window. C19 south chapel has traceried window to east and cinquefoil-headed arched dorcase to south.
INTERIOR: Jacobean pulpit and communion rail with vertically symmetrical balusters and large knobs to the posts. Chancel two-light north window has stained glass probably by Powell. Wall tablet to Edward Kidder d.1817, medallion with Turkish soldier.
[Pevsner "Buildings of England" Sussex ps 564-5. ]
Listing NGR: TQ4659024015
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings