Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4686 / 51°28'6"N
Longitude: -0.0252 / 0°1'30"W
OS Eastings: 537265
OS Northings: 176251
OS Grid: TQ372762
Mapcode National: GBR K7.B9X
Mapcode Global: VHGR7.JC11
Entry Name: Stone House
Location: Lewisham, London, SE4
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Listing Date: 5 July 1950
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203340
Source ID: 1193368
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/10/2012
LEWISHAM WAY SE8
No 281 (Stone House)
Villa. c.1771-3 by George Gibson the Younger for himself. Brick core with Kentish ragstone
facing, with stone banding, window surrounds and quoins; hipped slate roof. Parapet lowered
and rear bay extended c.1930. Two storeys with set-back attic, which incorporates hidden
chimneys. Square plan at angle to road, each side five bays wide, with first floor tetrastyle
logia over built out ground floor, bow windows on returns. Ground floor entrance hall with
first-floor piano nobile. At ground floor angles stout buttresses curved out at base. All
windows with glazing bar sashes, round-headed to first floor, flat-headed to ground floor.
Road front first floor blank but for three round-headed windows in bow; four ground-floor
windows. South-east entrance front has five windows, three in centre bay, the middle one
higher. Four-panel door well set back in moulded wood architrave with cornice over.
North-west front with loggia; columns with capitals formed of leaves and florets, as also used
by Gibson in his St Mary's church, Lewisham (q.v.). Wrought-iron railings to loggia and
wrought-iron screens to heads of round-arched first-floor windows.
The interior is particularly interesting. Ground-floor entrance leads to circular vestibule,
flanked by two small square rooms, one leading to the old kitchen and pantry. Some original
shelving and latticed partitions survive; doors have been moved and rehung. Vestibule also
gives on to tight, top-lit octagonal staircase with vaulted ceiling and skylight. The sides of
the stairwell have raised panles and roundels containing, in low relief, neo-classical busts of
the Hanoverian kings. Principal flight leads to first-floor piano nobile, a secondary stair
continues to the attic bedrooms; both have wrought-iron balusters and a mahogany handrail.
Patterned stone sets to floors on ground and first floors. First floor has principal drawing
rooms: a circular space separated by open Ionic columns from two square spaces with vaulted
ceilings. Domed and fluted ceiling, with some mid-C19 decoration, but with Adamesque,
arabesque decoration to surrounding frieze late C18. Handsome marble fireplace with
cast-iron firebacks. Adjoining rooms also with good late C18 fireplaces, panelled double
doors and dadoes.
'A very personal interpretation of the villa form that had been revived by Chambers and Taylor in
the 1750s', Cherry and Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London South', 1983, p. 411.
Listing NGR: TQ3719476292
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings