This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7695 / 53°46'10"N
Longitude: -0.3591 / 0°21'32"W
OS Eastings: 508251
OS Northings: 431599
OS Grid: TA082315
Mapcode National: GBR GHD.Q4
Mapcode Global: WHGFK.GJ72
Entry Name: Newland Homes Francis Reckitt House
Listing Date: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197601
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387525
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU6
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull, Newland St John
Church of England Diocese: York
This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 31/03/2017
KINGSTON UPON HULL
COTTINGHAM ROAD (North side)
Newland Homes, Francis Reckitt House
Infants home. Dated 1897. Paid for by Francis Reckitt.
MATERIAL: yellow brick with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with four external gable and two ridge stacks, all coped.
EXTERIOR: plinth, ground-floor lintel band, first-floor sill band, traceried bargeboards with collars to main gables. Two storeys; five-window range. Windows are mainly stone mullioned and transomed casements. Central recess has a two-light window and below, a two-light mullioned window to left with an inscribed and dated panel above it. To right, a half-glazed door with a mullioned overlight. Flanking wings have a single cross casement and below, a canted hipped brick bay window with a three-light cross casement. Beyond, on either side, a set back bay with a small window above and a narrow transomed window below. At the rear, two gabled wings.
HISTORY: this complex of orphan homes and ancillary buildings was built 1895-1902 by the Port of Hull Society and endowed by various benefactors whose names are attached to the various buildings. This building also commemorates the Royal Jubilee of 1897. The Port of Hull Society for the Religious Instruction of Seamen was founded in 1821. The society established the Sailors’ Orphans Institution in 1836, but it did not have a permanent home until the Park Street orphanage was built in 1868-9, largely funded by (Sir) Titus Salt of Saltaire. The orphanage in Park Street was sold in 1897, by which time all the children were accommodated in the new complex on Cottingham Road.
Listing NGR: TA0825131599
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings