History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Former Church of All Souls

A Grade II Listed Building in Bradford, Manchester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4804 / 53°28'49"N

Longitude: -2.2157 / 2°12'56"W

OS Eastings: 385784

OS Northings: 398202

OS Grid: SJ857982

Mapcode National: GBR DQH.XD

Mapcode Global: WHB9G.YS38

Entry Name: Former Church of All Souls

Location: Manchester, M4

County: Manchester

Locality: Bradford

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Listing Date: 15 October 1984

Last Amended: 6 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388115

Source ID: 1200825

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SJ8598 EVERY STREET, Beswick And Clayton
698-1/17/533 (South East side)
15/10/84 Former Church of All Souls
(Formerly Listed as:
EVERY STREET, Ancoats
(South East side)
Church of All Souls)

II

Former church. 1839-40, by William Haley. Brown brick with
some stone dressings, slate roof. Romanesque style.
Rectangular plan on south-west/north-east axis. The 3-bay
gabled east and west ends have square pilasters to the corners
and flanking the projected centre bay, all with stone false
machicolation and pyramidal roofs and those flanking the
centre of the west front including tall open-arcaded belfry
stages. The centre of the west front has a stone central
doorway, with chevron and lobed nook-shafts on scalloped
capitals, a band of elaborate triple-interlaced blind
arcading, an 8-light wheel window, a stone band on a corbel
table, and a louvred lancet roof ventilator in the gable apex;
the outer bays have single tall lancet windows with side
shafts and nailhead arches, brick hoodmoulds with run-out
ends, and bands like the centre. The east end centre bay has
stepped triple round-headed lancets, a stone band like that at
the front, and an oculus in the gable apex with corbel table;
and the outer bays have round-headed doorways with zig-zag
central order. The 4-bay side walls have pilaster strips and
simple corbel tables (like the ends), and 2 tall round-headed
lancets to each bay. Interior (as reported 15.10.84): 5 bays,
with quatrefoil cast-iron columns supporting a gallery fronted
with interlaced blind arcading; organ loft at west end, over
enclosed west bay. Later raising of choir to sanctuary with
round-headed chancel arch outlined by roll-mouldings; stone
reredos with 6-bay arcade, below stone-shafted lancets with
lobed over-arches on scallop capitals; open-arcaded roof
trusses; original box-pews and benches in gallery; late C19
stone pulpit. History: built for Dr Samuel Warren, who had
been expelled from the Wesleyan Methodist Connection; assigned
a district in 1842.


Listing NGR: SJ8578498202

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.