Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3203 / 51°19'12"N
Longitude: 1.2365 / 1°14'11"E
OS Eastings: 625616
OS Northings: 162880
OS Grid: TR256628
Mapcode National: GBR VZ7.1G2
Mapcode Global: VHLGJ.D22Q
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Location: Stourmouth, Dover, Kent, CT3
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 11 October 1963
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178292
Source ID: 1203363
TR 26 SE STOURMOUTH WEST STOURMOUTH
2/260 Church of All
Parish church, now redundant. Main fabric Saxon, altered late C12 with C14
and C15 fenestration. Restored and re-seated 1845. Flint and rubble stone
repaired with red brick with plain tiled roof, and weather boarded tower with
shingled spire. Chancel, nave and aisles, western tower and south porch.
West tower with 2 massive offset C17 brick buttresses, enclosing a boarded
door and porch, with C15 2 light window and roundel over. South aisle with
brick parapet, 3 two-light ogee headed C14 windows, and gabled south porch
with hollow chamfered doorway and strap-hinged door standing proud of door-
way. Corner buttresses. Chancel with C19 rebuilt east wall and Decorated
style east window, 2 lancets to south, 1 to north, and offset diagonal
buttresses. Lower half of north aisle only survives, with brick buttresses
and 2 hipped dormers. Interior: 3 western bays of nave consist of timber
framed trusses. North arcade of 2 simple chamfered arches on plain abaci cut
through wall. South arcade of 4 chamfered arches on 2 octagonal and 1 round
pier, with crockets and upright leaves, some oak leaf-enrichment, and
spurred and moulded bases, all based on late C12 work at Christ Church,
Canterbury. Blocked double-splayed pre-Conquest window high on north wall.
Roof of 3 crown posts, one renewed C20. Lean-to north aisle, cross-beamed
south aisle roof. Chamfered chancel arch on square responds, with attached
nook shafts. Fittings: chancel with dado panelling with built in elliptically
headed piscina end choir stalls (6 to north, 6 to south), C17. Base of road
screen of 4 panels, brattished rail to right. Pulpit C17, octagonal, with 2
panels on each face, guilloche decoration on arrises, and double hinged door.
Box pews, with beaded panelled sides, and 4 painted inscription boards in nave
also C17, C19 pews at rear of nave incorporating and reproducing the ogee
headed tracery of the road screen upper panels. Brass: in chancel, Thomas
Mareys, d.1472. Two foot high figure of priest with 1 mutilated shield
remaining. Glass: fragments of C15 glass in chancel south window. Church
redundant since 1979. (see B.O.E. Kent II, 1983 469-470).
Listing NGR: TR2545262549
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings