This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.462 / 51°27'43"N
Longitude: 0.4975 / 0°29'51"E
OS Eastings: 573594
OS Northings: 176626
OS Grid: TQ735766
Mapcode National: GBR PNW.6M5
Mapcode Global: VHJLF.KJW3
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Location: Cliffe and Cliffe Woods, Medway, ME3
Parish: Cliffe and Cliffe Woods
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 21 November 1966
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 172839
Source ID: 1204042
CLIFFE-AT-HOO CP CHURCH STREET
TQ 77 NW
Church of St. Helen
Parish church, formerly collegiate. Circa 1200, remodelled in earlier C14,
with chancel restored in 1853 by George Austin, tower and transepts in 1864 by
J.P. St. Aubyn, and the nave and tower by Romaine-Walker and Tanner in 1884.
Ragstone and flint, laid in knapped bands; plain tiled roofs. Cruciform
church with west tower, nave with north and south aisles, porch with parvis
room over, north and south transeptal chapels and chancel. C13 west tower
with clasping buttresses, C15 uppermost stage, C19 battlements and staircase
projection. 5-bay nave with north and south aisles and deep porch to south.
3-bay chancel with curvilinear tracery in all windows, renewed, all with
mouchettes and Kentish cusping. East window rebuilt from fragments found in
restoration of 1884. Interior: Nave arcades of 5 bays. Short circular piers
with moulded capitals and bases and wide pointed arches with two slight
chamfers. Nave piers painted with thick red zig-zags. Clerestorey lancets
of C14. Full-shafted wall-arcading in transeptal chapels, two bays to east
with two narrower bays to west. Trefoiled piscinas in both transeptal chapels.
Chancel with vaulted sedilia and piscina integral with the fabric. Ogee
arches with crockets, finials and pinnacles. Foliage in the spandrels, all
renewed. Base of late C15 rood screen. Wall paintings in both transeptal
chapels, those in the north of the martyrdom of St. Edmund. Fittings:
Tower screen of c.1370 with lights in threes and intersecting mullions.
Six medieval pews. Some C14 glass in tracery of 2 chancel windows on south
side, much restored. C17 communion rail. Arcaded pulpit dated 1636.
C15 font. Late C14 tomb recess on north side of sanctuary with cusped and
Listing NGR: TQ7359476626
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings