History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade I Listed Building in Radbourne, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9206 / 52°55'14"N

Longitude: -1.576 / 1°34'33"W

OS Eastings: 428601

OS Northings: 335994

OS Grid: SK286359

Mapcode National: GBR 5CD.Y37

Mapcode Global: WHCFM.RVPC

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 19 January 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1204062

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82629

Location: Radbourne, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE6

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Radbourne

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Radbourne St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Kirk Langley

Listing Text

SK 23 NE PARISH OF RADBOURNE CHURCH LANE
2/42 (South Side)
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
19.1.67
GV I


Parish church. C13, early C14, C15, Cl7, porch added 1792,
repaired 1844. Ashlar and coursed squared sandstone with stone
dressings and plinth. Shallow pitched plain tile roofs hidden
by low projecting parapets with ridgeback copings. Two stage
tower to north west corner of nave, north nave aisle, lower
chancel and south porch. West elevation of nave has central
cusped Y-tracery early C14 window and large stepped buttress to
south side. To north side is the Perp tower with stepped,
full-height diagonal buttresses to its western corners and
clasping buttresses to its eastern corners. West face has
central trefoil headed lancet with narrow staircase window and
moulded stringcourse over. Second stage has pointed, louvred
bell openings with rectilinear tracery and returned hoodmoulds,
set in deep chamfered surrounds, to all sides, that to south
blocked to base by clockface. Above, embattled parapets with
ridgeback copings and corner pinnacles rising from the
buttresses, that to north west crocketed. Tower is surmounted
by wrought iron weathervane, reputedly by Robert Bakewell. Nave
aisle has blocked chamfered pointed doorcase to west, cusped
Y-tracery C14 window and massive later buttress to east, and a
3-light C15 east window. Chancel has a C17 2-light: chamfered
mullion window to west and to east a C19 polygonal vestry with
chamfered pointed doorcase and chamfered single light windows.
Beyond, to east, is a single C14 Y-tracery window. East chancel
elevation has full height corner buttresses and central C15
panel tracery window in deep moulded surround with hoodmould,
the lower part of the window blocked in C19. South elevation
has two C17, tall chamfered mullion windows to chancel and one
3-light cusped intersecting tracery C14 window, flanked by
stepped buttresses to nave, with gabled C18 porch to west. This
has semi-circular headed raised doorcase with raised imposts and
keystone, also its original panelled door. Above a clerestory
of three C17 2-light chamfered mullion windows. Interior has
three bay C15 north arcade with hexagonal piers, moulded
capitals and double chamfered pointed arches. No chancel or
tower arches, the tower being separate from the aisle, with only
a blocked pointed doorcase and deep four-centred arched window
over. All roofs are C16, but much restored. C19 rood screen in
Dec Style between nave and chancel. Chancel has C19 choir stalls
and reredos, and also early C13 double sedilla with nailhead
moulding to arches and mutilated carved capital to central
column. To east side of the sedilla is C14 arched piscina. Nave
has a variety of pews, with early C19 box pews to back of nave,
late C19 ones to body of nave, and three lower pews made up of
C14 carved bench ends from Dale Abbey. The linenfold panels to
the front of the box pews were reputedly also from Dale Abbey.
Also to west end of nave is the C19 octagonal stone font on
coloured marble columns which has a sumptuously carved Jacobean
weighted cover. Pulpit to east end of nave also C19. Numerous
monuments including several to the Pole family of Radbourne
Hall, now placed in north aisle. The most impressive of these
is the full height wall memorial of 1684 to German Pole, which
is generally attributed to Grinling Gibbons. This has a deep
moulded base with a large gadrooned sarcophagus on lions feet,
flanked by gadrooned urns, over and above again a tall segmental
pediment with putti, topped by achievements. Illegible
inscriptions to either side on folding drapery. Below is the
remains of a C15 alabaster table tomb with weepers in crocketed
niches to sides and incised figure of lord and lady to top.
Also in north aisle are two re-set C15 effigies of either Peter
or John de la Pole and his wife. On the floor are two slabs,
one in marble of 1676 and one in slate with coat of arms to top
of 1710, both to the Pole family. North side of nave also has
an alabaster table tomb, with shields to base and incised
figures with Latin inscription to edge, dated 1454, to
Ralph de la Pole. West end of nave has oval wall memorial with
flaming urn finial to Mary Parker of 1708 and south side of
chancel has elaborate Gothick C19 wall memorial to Hunt family.
Pair of C18 hatchments to west end of church. East window has
C19 stained glass and south nave window has small C20 stained
glass panel, otherwise windows have clear glass.


Listing NGR: SK2859335991

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.