Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0649 / 51°3'53"N
Longitude: 0.5795 / 0°34'46"E
OS Eastings: 580840
OS Northings: 132670
OS Grid: TQ808326
Mapcode National: GBR PTT.3BT
Mapcode Global: FRA D639.MLV
Entry Name: Church of St George
Location: Benenden, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN17
District: Tunbridge Wells
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 2 June 1967
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 170226
Source ID: 1204075
TQ8032 THE GREEN
1350-0/7/125 CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
Parish Church. C14 and C15, damaged after storm of 1672 and
restored 1676 and in 1862 by David Brandon. Built of sandstone
ashlar, south aisle of sandstone rubble with plain tiled roof.
Nave and chancel without a break, north and south chapels,
north and south aisles and north and south porches with
parvises. West tower of 3 stages. Square with stepped
buttresses, octagonal turret with spirelet to south west and
crenellated parapet. Double round-headed window to south. West
face has double round-headed window to top stage and small
rectangular window below. Pointed arched 4 light window with
cinque foiled heads and intersecting tracery. Pointed arched
door with dripmould and C19 door with decorative iron hinges.
Nave and chancel have crenellated parapet and stepped
buttresses. Four 3 light cinquefoiled windows with dripmoulds.
Large east window with 3 tiers of cinquefoil-headed lights.
North porch has round headed arch and parvise with trefoliated
lancet windows. Vaulted with 8 ribs and a salamander carving
on the boss. South porch has C19 crenellated parapet, offset
buttresses, rectangular window and pointed arched doorway.
Interior 5 bay nave with octagonal columns and arches. C19
nave roof with 2 tiers of purlins, crenellated tie beams and
C19 foliated corbels. C19 octagonal stone font. Coat of Arms
of George II over north door. C19 aisle roofs. C19 chancel
arch with angel corbels. C19 stained glass windows, octagonal
stone font and octagonal stone pulpit on marble piers. North
chapel has monument to Sir John Morris of Hempstead (d. 1750)
Admiral of the Fleet by P. Scheemakers, a marble beast with
obelisk behind, inscription tablet below and family shield and
crest. Also standing wall monument to Thomas Hallett Hodges d.
1801, an urn bearing sarcophagus in front of truncated
(Buildings of England; "West Kent and the Weald":- John Newman:
Listing NGR: TQ8084032670
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings