Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2453 / 53°14'43"N
Longitude: 0.27 / 0°16'11"E
OS Eastings: 551563
OS Northings: 374434
OS Grid: TF515744
Mapcode National: GBR ZZBX.7C
Mapcode Global: WHJLN.3PTG
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas of Canterbury
Location: Mumby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN13
District: East Lindsey
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Listing Date: 3 February 1967
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196039
Source ID: 1204944
TF 57 SW MUMBY MAIN STREET
2/38 Church of St. Thomas
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, 1874 chancel rebuilt. Limestone
ashlar. Squared limestone and greenstone rubble. Slate roofs.
Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch, chancel.
C15 ashlar tower with bell moulded plinth, chamfered string
courses, battlemented parapet, crocketed corner pinnacles, angle
grotesques, stepped corner buttresses. To belfry stage 2 light
cusped openings with panel tracery and hood moulds and below a
cusped single light to all faces. West doorway has continuously
moulded hollow chamfered surround and hood mould. Above is a
large 3 light window with cusped heads to the lights, panel
tracery and hollow chamfered surround. The C14 north aisle is in
squared greenstone with brick patching. To the west end is a C14
intersecting traceried 3 light window. To the south side are a
pair of 2 light windows and a single 3 light window, all with
ogee heads to the lights in chamfered rectangular surrounds.
Pointed headed continuously moulded north doorway. The east
north aisle window is of 3 lights with reticulated tracery. The
greenstone clerestorey has 3 pairs of C13 lancets. The brick
chancel of 1874 in Flemish bond, has a single C19 2 light window
in C14 style. Early Cl9 brick vestry with pointed door and 2
light window with timber Y tracery. C19 3 light east window in
geometric style. The chancel is in limestone and greenstone on
the south side, with 2 pairs of C14 style C19 windows. South
aisle in greenstone with brick patching has a pair of trefoil
headed lights on the east wall and 2 C14 3 light windows in
rectangular surround and a C15 3 light window with panel tracery
and cambered head on south side. On the West wall is a C14 3
light window with ogee heads to the lights and low cambered arch.
Clerestorey matches that to the north. Gabled Cl9 ashlar porch,
the double chamfered outer arch with octagonal imposts. Early
C13 inner doorway with shafted reveals, stiff leaf capitals, dog
toothing and richly moulded head. Interior. 4 bay early C13
nave arcades with round piers, octagonal and round stiff leaf
capitals, double chamfered arches, some with dog tooth hood
moulds and beast head label stops. On the south side is a single
keeled and shafted respond. Rood loft opening on north side.
Tall C15 double chamfered tower arch with octagonal imposts. C13
double chamfered chancel arch with shafted responds and annular
capitals. In the chancel north wall a C19 pointed chamfered
doorway to vestry. Fittings. C18 panelled pews, C19 rood
screen, possibly incorporating C15 work, C15 panel traceried
woodwork on the facings of the C20 choir stalls. C14 tall
octagonal font with stop chamfered stem having cusped flowing
Listing NGR: TF5155874436
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings