This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2203 / 52°13'12"N
Longitude: 0.6574 / 0°39'26"E
OS Eastings: 581618
OS Northings: 261333
OS Grid: TL816613
Mapcode National: GBR QF3.R12
Mapcode Global: VHJGV.BGW9
Entry Name: Ickworth House
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205300
English Heritage Legacy ID: 363171
Location: Ickworth, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP29
District: St. Edmundsbury
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Horringer St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 86 SW ICKWORTH
2/96 Ickworth House
Large country mansion, begun 1795 by Francis Sandys after designs by Mario
Asprucci, for Frederick 4th Earl of Bristol and Bishop of Derry, who died 1803
before completion of house. Work completed 1821-1829 for Frederick William
Hervey, 5th Earl and 1st Marquis of Bristol. Stuccoed brick; slated and leaded
roofs. Central rotunda 105 ft. high with domed and balustraded top; central
entrance portico of 4 Ionic columns, 2 storeys high, supporting pediment.
Rotunda encircled by lower order of Ionic pilasters and upper order of
Corinthian pilasters through 2 storeys; 2 giant bas-relief friezes by the
Carabelli brothers after Flaxman's illustrations of Horner. Segmental 1-storey
corridors on both flanks, linking with East and West wings 2 storeys high, each
with central pediment on 4 Ionic columns, 2 storeys high. The total frontage
is 625ft. Interior fittings mainly complete by 1830, including fine marble
fireplace in Library, Scagliola columns in Library and Entrance Hall, and coved
ceilings in corridors. The Pompeian Room decorated by J.D. Crace in 1879.
Remodelling of main staircase in rotunda and of East wing by Reginald
Blomfield, 1909. Now owned by the National Trust; for illustrations and
description, see their Official Guide.
Listing NGR: TL8161861333
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings