This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2726 / 50°16'21"N
Longitude: -5.059 / 5°3'32"W
OS Eastings: 182119
OS Northings: 45880
OS Grid: SW821458
Mapcode National: GBR ZF.WSC6
Mapcode Global: FRA 0899.T19
Entry Name: Epiphany House
Listing Date: 29 December 1950
Last Amended: 30 July 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205448
English Heritage Legacy ID: 377411
Location: Truro, Cornwall, TR1
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Kenwyn with St Allen
Church of England Diocese: Truro
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/04/2014
KENWYN CHURCH ROAD,
(Formerly listed as Copeland Court.
Previously Listed as: Copeland Court (Truro Cathedral School), KENWYN)
Formerly known as: Lis Escop KENWYN.
Rectory and chapel, later home of The Community of the Epiphany and Truro Cathedral School until 2001. Since 2003 it has been used as a conference centre and Christian retreat. C18 on older site extended and remodelled in 1878 for Bishop Benson; chapel added c1906 by Edmund Sedding for Bishop Stubbs. Freestone ashlar, roughcast with freestone dressings (front), otherwise roughly coursed local rubble with granite and brick dressings; dry Delabole slate roofs with hipped ends to front range with hipped roof dormers, otherwise gable ends, coped gable to south-west wing; brick axial stacks and 2 gabled stone lateral stacks to rear. Large irregular plan with remains of double-depth C18 house on the left, otherwise C19 and early C20 extensions. 2 storeys plus attics; overall 6-window-range front. Remodelled 3-window front of C18 house on left of projecting gable end of 1906 chapel and 2-window front of late C19 extension on the right, which, with left-hand return, have early C19 hornless 12-pane sashes and late C19 wooden modillions to moulded eaves cornice. Ground floor has 3 Palladian windows: to study bay (far left) linked to 3-bay Tuscan colonnade of loggia; to right set back in loggia and to right of chapel. On left within loggia is principal round-arched and pedimented doorway with spoked fanlight over pair of 3-panel doors; other doorway to far right has overlight with glazing bars over panelled door. Chapel coped gable end has semi-circular broken scrolled pediment containing niche with small triangular pediment over, supported on three-quarter columns on consoles flanking 3-light round-arched window. Ground floor has large bowed 3-light window with small-paned sashes. In angle left of chapel is an octagonal stair turret surmounted by round-arched cupola with bell-shaped copper roof. 4-window-range south front is original C18 ashlar with flat arches over early C19 sashes to first floor, otherwise late C19 horned sashes including Palladian window to flat-roofed study extension on the right. At far left is projecting Gothic-style gable end of late C19 wing with granite canted oriel window to first floor, otherwise mullioned windows with hoodmoulds and 4-centred-arched lights. Rear stair projection has large 4-light granite mullioned window with double transom. Rear of chapel has freestone lunette with mutules over dentils.
INTERIOR: late C18 or early C19 open-well stair with moulded plinths to stick balusters, possible C18 plaster ceiling cornice above, otherwise late C19 carpentry, joinery and plasterwork with moulded and carved cornices to principal rooms. Stair hall to right of chapel has early C20 open-well stair with triple rectangular balusters and moulded handrail. 1906 chapel has stone coffered barrel vault and exposed stone walls. Fittings are from former convent, now Alverton Manor Hotel (qv) and include alabaster reredos, stalls by Ninian Comper and a large carved crucifix originally from Oberammergau.
History: In 1781 John Wesley, who was a friend of the vicar, Richard Milles, stayed here. The house was formerly named Copeland Court in order to acknowledge a generous gift made by the Copeland family.(Ana C E, Sister: A History of Copeland Court).
Listing NGR: SW8211945880
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings