Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.618 / 52°37'4"N
Longitude: 1.3108 / 1°18'38"E
OS Eastings: 624217
OS Northings: 307390
OS Grid: TG242073
Mapcode National: GBR WCQ.62
Mapcode Global: WHMTN.3GGC
Entry Name: Carrow Abbey
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR1
Locality: Thorpe Hamlet
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Listing Date: 26 May 1954
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228839
Source ID: 1205742
TG 20 NW BRACONDALE
26.5.54 Carrow Abbey
Former Benedictine Priory, now reception rooms and offices. C12 foundation;
mostly early C16 and late C19. Knapped flint studded with red brick; brick
dressings; plain tiled roof. In three parts; former parlour (left): 2 storeys.
Wooden mullioned windows to left; small oriel window to right of first floor.
Tudor-style doors to left and right with C19 moulded brick jambs. C16
wooden spandrels of right one have Y and a gun (rebus of Elizabeth Wygun,
the last Prioress). Traces of C16 window jambs and moulded bricks on first
floor and some original brick details to ground-floor window. Brick kneelers
to left gable; central 4-shafted ridge chimney. The rear elevation of this
range facing the former cloister, has C19 wooden mullioned windows flanking
a round rendered stair turret with brick parapet. Door to right retains its
original moulded spandrels.
Former Hall (Centre) Late C19 porch to right has perpendicular style windows
and decorative bargeboards. Large square-fronted bay window to left. C19
wooden mullioned window above porch has C16 moulded brick details. Rear facade
has tall C19 wooden mullioned and transomed window to right of massive red
brick chimney. Brick kneelers to gables; central 3-shafted ridge chimney.
Late C19 Wing (right) : Irregular range set slightly askew has red brick
diaper pattern on knapped flint walls. Another wing set back to right with
2-storeys and an attic has 5 first-floor windows and 5 dormers. Moulded
brick finials. The rear facade has gables to right and left, the right one
with a hexagonal 2-storey bay flanked by a single-storey gable-fronted wing.
The interior of the parlour range has C16 panelling and a fireplace on the
ground floor, and moulded ceiling beams to bedrooms above, reached by a
C19 Gothic style staircase with crockets and lion finials. The hall is
reputed to have been re-modelled by E. Boardman in the 1870's with a
minstrels' gallery; Entrance hall has a massive hooded stone fireplace
bearing the date 1900, and the late C19 wing has elaborately moulded plaster
ceilings in the present Director's dining room and in other first-floor rooms.
The Benedictine nunnery was founded in 1146, and the west range was rebuilt
shortly before the Dissolution, when the property passed to Sir John Shelton.
Most of the former Prioress's lodging was re-modelled between 1899 and 1909
for the Colman family. Surviving foundations of the Church and east range
of the monastic buildings are scheduled as an Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: TG2421707390
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings