History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II* Listed Building in Newhaven, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7918 / 50°47'30"N

Longitude: 0.0454 / 0°2'43"E

OS Eastings: 544261

OS Northings: 101128

OS Grid: TQ442011

Mapcode National: GBR LSF.6BB

Mapcode Global: FRA B7Z0.3HM

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 20 May 1949

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206261

English Heritage Legacy ID: 374196

Location: Newhaven, Lewes, East Sussex, BN9

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Parish: Newhaven

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Newhaven St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Listing Text


NEWHAVEN

TQ4401SW CHURCH HILL
769-1/7/6 (East side)
20/05/49 Church of St Michael and All Angels

GV II*

Parish church. Norman tower and apse, broached spire added
subsequently, N aisle added c1795, aisle and nave lengthened
1810, vestry added 1825, S aisle and S-E porch erected 1854
when church refitted and W gallery built, west porch added
1961 and church restored. (The latter was then linked by a
covered walkway to the coeval flat-roofed church rooms - not
of special interest.) Mid C19 work by William Gilbert
Habershon. Knapped flint, stone dressings, cement render to
C19 window openings, tiled roofs, wooden shingled spire. Plan:
W porch, 5-bay nave, N and S aisles, S-E porch in angle with E
tower, apse on E face. Single-storey apse, pilaster buttresses
rising to dentil eaves, remains of string course with dentil
moulding below E end lancet window, later lancets to N and S
faces; 2-storey tower with broached spire, gargoyles on corbel
table below eaves, moulded string course upon which rests
2-lightbell-openings, the E window just above roof ridge of
apse, N window has original shaft with shaft ring. S-E porch
double doors with ornamental hinges; S front alternate lancets
and 2-light windows, W end with three 2-light windows and
single-storey porch entered on S front through glazed door,
bull's eye window on W front, buttressed N front with
butt-joint marking aisle extension, alternate lancet and
2-light windows, flat-roofed vestry with C20 arched-head
window.
Interior: rendered, nave and aisles mid C19. Open timber
tie-beam roofto S aisle, scissor-brace roof to N aisle,
moulded wall-plate toeastern bays of nave, possibly remaining
from earlier building. Timberposts to 5-bay Tudor-arch head
arcades with pierced quatrefoilspandrels. W face of tower
arch: plain round-arched opening with 2orders of columns
altered by inserted entablature, similar on outer faceto apse,
but inner faces roll-moulded and ornamented with
scallopedcapitals; unmoulded transverse beams to ceiling; S
tower windowround-arched head with deep splays, N window
larger and formerly adoor. Apse: window openings resting on
string course, pointed lancetsN and S, central round arch
lancet at east end with deep splays;simple crown-post roof on
tie-beam. Wooden organ gallery runs the lengthof the W end
with trefoil-headed arcade decoration. Organ by Batesand Son
of Ludgate Hill, London, c1854. Mid C19 fittings including
fontwith cover, pulpit, brass lecturn, elegant brass
gas-mantel brackets(converted to electricity), late C19
stained glass in apse and tower.Turned oak altar rails
presented 1961. A rare example of an E towerwith apsidal end.
This was the parish church of Meeching, set on thehillside
above the River Ouse; the river subsequently altered its
courseafter a great storm in 1570 and Meeching became Newhaven
with the growthof the port in the C17.
(Buildings of England: Nairn I: Sussex: 1965-; Anon: The
Parish Church of St Michael, Newhaven; Sussex Directory:
1895-).


Listing NGR: TQ4426101128

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.