This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0746 / 54°4'28"N
Longitude: -2.8576 / 2°51'27"W
OS Eastings: 343984
OS Northings: 464637
OS Grid: SD439646
Mapcode National: GBR 8PHB.43
Mapcode Global: WH840.2VJ6
Entry Name: Parish Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 6 April 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207210
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391815
Location: Morecambe, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA4
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Poulton-le-Sands Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
MORECAMBE AND HEYSHAM
SD4364 CHURCH STREET, Morecambe
939-1/5/31 Parish Church of The Holy Trinity
Church. 1841 by Edmund Sharpe, with south aisle added 1866.
Squared coursed sandstone with green slate roof.
Comprises a west tower, nave, south aisle, and lower chancel.
On the north side is a transept, with a lower vestry in the
angle with the chancel. In the angle between the main church
and the chancel on the south side is a short gabled projection
and a lean-to porch.
The tower is of 3 storeys with clasping buttresses and corner
pinnacles and has a pointed west doorway. Above are 3 narrow
lancets. There are clock faces on the west and south sides.
The bell openings are triple stepped lancets, with the
parapets rising in a triangle above.
The north wall of the nave is of 6 bays separated by
buttresses and has paired lancets. The south wall is of 7 bays
separated by buttresses and has windows of 2 pointed lights
with foiled circles over, with the parapet rising as a coping
to form a gable over each window. The east window is of 5
lancet lights with the tall central light flanked by foiled
The interior has exposed bolted queen post trusses ceiled at
collar level, the south wallplate carried on a 7-bay arcade of
slender timber octaonal columns with caps and bases and with
curved braces rising to the plate. The west gallery has a
panelled front and an organ which appears to have a C20 casing
with re-set Royal arms. The chancel, which may be of a later
date than the nave, has a pointed sandstone arch flanked by
narrower arches, and an open timber roof with collars and
arch-braced tie beams.
(178; Bingham R K: Lost Resort?: 99).
Listing NGR: SD4398464637
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings