This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.015 / 53°0'53"N
Longitude: -1.7387 / 1°44'19"W
OS Eastings: 417628
OS Northings: 346440
OS Grid: SK176464
Mapcode National: GBR 48P.Z3Q
Mapcode Global: WHCF5.8H90
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Oswald
Listing Date: 15 June 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207715
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79839
Location: Ashbourne, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Ashbourne
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Ashbourne St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Derby
822/1/24 CHURCH STREET
822/2/24 (Southeast side)
15-JUN-51 PARISH CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
Early foundation. present church is mainly Early English from circa 1220 but
a few remnants of earlier Norman work survive and a Saxon cross shaft (part)
in the south aisle. The church is believed to stand on the site of a pagan holy
well, now thought to be concealed beneath tyre crossing. The tower and spire
circa 133O. The spire, which has been rebuilt several times, has a height of
215 ft. Perpendicular additions and alterations circa 1520. The battlements
to the chancel were added by Sir G G Scott in 1878 and the church was restored
by Cottingham earlier in the C19. Some fine monuments from C14, of which the
most famous is probably the figure of Penelope Boothby 1791, by Thomas Banks.
Some mediaeval glass remains.
In l644, the church was fired on by Parliamentarians and the marks are still
visible in the west wall.
Nos 38, 40 and 72, together with Pegg's Almshouses, Owlfield's Almhouses, The
Mansion, the Summerhouse and the cobbled pavements form a group with the parish
Church of St Oswald and the churchyard gate piers, gates and walls.
Listing NGR: SK1763146443
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings