History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Penwortham Hall (Incorporating Penwortham Lodge)

A Grade II Listed Building in Penwortham, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7393 / 53°44'21"N

Longitude: -2.7117 / 2°42'42"W

OS Eastings: 353151

OS Northings: 427223

OS Grid: SD531272

Mapcode National: GBR T81.VR

Mapcode Global: WH85T.98YR

Entry Name: Penwortham Hall (Incorporating Penwortham Lodge)

Location: Penwortham, South Ribble, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

District: South Ribble

Parish: Penwortham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Listing Date: 11 November 1966

Last Amended: 27 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357991

Source ID: 1210884

Listing Text

SD 52NW PENWORTHAM PARK LANE

4/86 Penwortham Hall (incorporating
11.11.1966 Penwortham Lodge)
(Formerly listed as Penwortham Lodge)
- II

House, 1801, with early C19 addition (known as Penwortham Lodge). Ashlar
and brick, hipped slate roof concealed by a parapet. Square 5 bay plan
plus shallow extension on south side which is 3 bays wide. Two storeys
and basement, in classical style: plinth, band, moulded cornice and low
parapet; sashed windows with glazing bars, except one at the side and one
at the back which have been replaced by doors. Symmetrical west front has
large porch with paired Ionic columns, and an entablature with dentilled
and moulded cornice and a parapet; doorway with margin lights between
pilasters and columns, all under an elliptical fanlight with radiating glazing
bars. South front (Lodge) is brick, 3 bays, 3 storeys and basement,
symmetrical, and has a raised entrance with pedimented stone doorcase,
margin lights, and a doorway with a fanlight which has radiating glazing
bars; there are sashed windows with glazing bars on the 1st and 2nd floors,
and at ground floor the window on the left is similar with margin lights,
while that on the right has casements. Interior: has been mutilated by
division into flats, but contains 2 good open well cantilevered staircases,
window shutters, some fragments of original vine friezes, and one original
fireplace. History: built by John Horrocks, founding partner of Horrocks,
Miller and Co., the largest cotton firm in Preston, and sold to William
Marshall in 1829. (Lancs Record Office, DDHS: A. Horrocks "Brief History
of the Horrocks Family"; auction notice in Preston Pilot 18 July 1829).


Listing NGR: SD5315127223

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.