Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.487 / 51°29'13"N
Longitude: 0.1004 / 0°6'1"E
OS Eastings: 545931
OS Northings: 178545
OS Grid: TQ459785
Mapcode National: GBR Q7.005
Mapcode Global: VHHNK.PWGF
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas (Plumstead)
Location: Greenwich, London, SE18
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Listing Date: 26 March 1954
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 396270
Source ID: 1211745
4412 ST NICHOLAS ROAD SE18
Church of St Nicholas
TQ 4578 22/W5 26.3.54
Church. Nave and aisles, west tower and chancel. The present south aisle was the original nave and is of medieval date: the west wall is C12, the south wall C13, with arched doorways and windows within. C14 blocked doorway at east end of south wall. Random rubble masonry with restored parts roughcast. The north aisle was added in C15 to the medieval nave and now forms the present nave. The church was restored in 1867-8 by C.H.Cooke, and enlarged on the north side in 1907-8 by Greenaway and Newberry, in Arts and Crafts Perpendicular style. The new arcade matches the old one. The chancel is of the same period, all of purplish brick with stone dressings. High-pitched tiled roof. Foundations of medieval south transept visible on south side of church. Tower built into the church at the west end, 1664: 3 stages, brownish-red brick with corbelled stone cornice, battlemented parapet and angle turrets. Simple window tracery of moulded brick. INTERIOR: Timber arch-braced collar-beam roof. North aisle: C15 4-bay arcade with hollow-chamfered arches on octagonal columns. Fittings: High altar, altar and baldacchino in north-east chapel, font, clergy and choir stalls all by Stephen Dykes Bower; reredos painting by Donald Towner. East window by Martin Travers. All these date from post-war restoration of the church by T.F.Ford & Partners, 1959. Memorials: some C18 tablets, including one to British Defence Engineer, William Green, Bart. R.E.
Listing NGR: TQ4593178545
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings