History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Helen

A Grade II Listed Building in Grove, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3073 / 53°18'26"N

Longitude: -0.8942 / 0°53'39"W

OS Eastings: 473780

OS Northings: 379500

OS Grid: SK737795

Mapcode National: GBR QZ66.64

Mapcode Global: WHFGH.74FC

Entry Name: Church of St Helen

Location: Grove, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Parish: Grove

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241499

Source ID: 1212395

Listing Text

Sk 77 NW GROVE MAIN STREET
(west side)
7/33 Church of
St. Helen
1.2.67
G.V. II
Parish church. 1882. By Hodgson Fowler. C14 Decorated style.
Ashlar with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs. Chamfered and
moulded plinth, moulded sill band, chamfered eaves, coped gables
with gabled kneelers and crosses. All windows have hood moulds.
West tower and spire, nave, chancel, organ chamber, vestry, south
porch. West tower, 3 stages, has 2 string courses, eaves band, 8
gargoyles, 4 crocketed pinnacles, crenellated parapet. To west,
pair of diagonal buttresses, 5 setoffs; to east, pair of corner
buttresses, 3 setoffs. Setback octagonal spire with 2 tiers of
gabled lucarnes and finial. South side has to east, canted stair
turret with finial and 3 stair lights. Above, central clock in
surround inscribed 'Watch and Pray'. West side has ogee headed
triple lancet. Above, small single lancet. North side has a
similar lancet. Third stage has 4 cusped head Decorated double
lancet bell openings with coved reveals. Nave, 3 hays, has to
south a double ogee headed lancet, and to its right a triple
lancet in early C14 style. Moulded south doorway with traceried
panelled door. North side has 3 double lancets. Chancel, 2
bays, has buttressed east end with 2 small lights to crypt in
chamfered reveals,and above, triple lancet with moulded mullions
and flowing tracery, and at its foot, traceried panels. South
side has 2 depressed ogee headed lancets. Organ chamber has
hipped roof with finial. To west, hipped lean-to porch with
shouldered doorway, and to north, double lancet in coved and
rebated square headed reveal. Lean-to vestry to east, has single
coped gable and double side wall stack. To north, chamfered
doorway under relieving arch. To east, leaded light in chamfered
reveal and above, double lancet and above again, shield inscribed
'1882'. South porch, single bay, has lintel band and string
course, double cyma moulded and rebated doorway, and above, niche
with nodding ogee canopy, containing figure with cross. Interior
has stone benches and principal rafter roof. Tower arch, double
cusped and rebated with coved hood mould and octagonal responds
with crenellated capitals and moulded bases. Vaulted tower
chamber has central round opening. Doorway to west with hood
mould, and window with stained glass 1882. Nave has sill band
and panelled dado. Cusped timber screen at west end with stained
glass panels. King post roof with moulded tie beam and arch
braces to collars. Curved wind braces. Cusped fillets. Ashlar
pieces. Chancel arch, double roll moulded and rebated has
filleted responds with moulded caps and bases. Hood mould with
foliate stops. Chancel has to north chamfered and rebated organ
opening and to east, doorway with traceried panelled door. East
end has traceried and crested timber panellinq and matching
reredos, and sill band, gradine with foliate basses, and C19
stained glass. South side has stained glass, C19. Wagon vaulted
panelled timber roof with moulded timbers and crenellated wall
plate. Vestry has panelled lean-to roof and fitted vestment
cupboards. Fittings comprise octagonal font with foliate panels
and octagonal foliate base and panelled stem, canted timber
pulpit with traceried panels and panelled timber lectern on
square stem. Scroll ended softwood benches. 2 traceried
panelled clergy desks. Tower chamber has alabaster slab to Hugh
Hercy, 1455, and to Elizabeth Hercy, 1450, re-sited 1882 and re-
cut 1932. Incised slab with cross, C15. 2 C19 and single C20
brasses.


Listing NGR: SK7378079500

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.