This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.731 / 50°43'51"N
Longitude: -2.6674 / 2°40'2"W
OS Eastings: 352994
OS Northings: 92588
OS Grid: SY529925
Mapcode National: GBR PR.BKLX
Mapcode Global: FRA 5794.W2S
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 5 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1213455
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105026
Location: Askerswell, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Askerswell
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Askerswell St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 59 SW ASKERWELL NALLER'S LANE
3/6 Parish Church of
Parish Church. C15 west tower. Nave and north aisle, chancel and
south porch rebuilt 1858, CA (tablet on south porch) in
Perpendicular style. Random rubble walls with dressed stone bands.
Slate roof with stone gable-copings. West tower, C15, of 3 stages
with set-back buttresses and set-offs. Moulded plinth. West door-
way with moulded jambs 4-centred head and a shield in each spandrel.
Plinth moulding carried up over doorhead. 2-leaf C20 plank door.
Half-octagonal south stair-turret. Nave of 3 bays without clear
storey, windows are 3-light trefoil-cusped with panel tracery over.
Returned labels. Chancel of one bay, 2-light window of the same
style. East window of 3-lights with a quatrefoil in the centre of
the head. South porch, pointed-arch entrance with moulded jambs.
Inner doorway, pointed arch with a straight chamfer and pyramid
stops. 2-leaf plank door with ornamental strap-hinges, C19. North
aisle, C19, under a pentice slate roof, simple 2-light windows with
quatrefoil heads. Interior: 3 bays. North arcade on octagonal
piers with moulded capitals, and chamfered and quirked arches.
Tower arch has panelled jambs and soffit, C15. Roofs: of arch-
braced collar-beam type carried on stone corbels, C19. Fittings:
font, late C12, stone circular bowl decorated with continuous
intersecting arches on colonettes with imposts. Stone cylindrical
stem with interlace cable and spur feet. Brass indent, in tower,
stone slab (top part missing) with indent of foliated cross and
marginal inscription in separate capitals. Slab forms part of tomb
stone to Thomas de Luda and Eleanor his wife, c.1320, formerly in
Abbotsbury Abbey. Inscription records gift of Holywell to the
abbey. Other half of slab in Whitechurch Canonicorum church.
Image: on west wall of the tower, carved stone panel of the
Crucifixion with the Virgin and St John, C15.
RCHM Dorset I, p 12 (1).
Listing NGR: SY5299492588
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings