History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Harrington, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4176 / 52°25'3"N

Longitude: -0.8569 / 0°51'24"W

OS Eastings: 477838

OS Northings: 280574

OS Grid: SP778805

Mapcode National: GBR BT6.D5L

Mapcode Global: VHDR7.3HBH

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and Paul

Listing Date: 25 February 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1213602

English Heritage Legacy ID: 398224

Location: Harrington, Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN6

County: Northamptonshire

District: Kettering

Civil Parish: Harrington

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Harrington St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Harrington

Listing Text

HARRINGTON CHURCH LANE
SP 78 SE
(east side)
2/32
Church of St Peter
25.2.57 and St Paul
II*
Parish Church. Early and mid C14, C15, tower 1809. Coursed and squared
ironstone and limestone with ashlar dressings and lead and slate roofs.
South tower, nave with clerestory and aisles, north transept, chancel,
south porch. 4 stage tower has ironstone clasping buttresses, plinth and
3 string courses, coped parapet and 4 corner pinnacles. To south, a
chamfered pointed doorway. Above, on each side a round headed louvred
bell chamber opening with hood mould linked to string course. To north a
parapeted porch with, to east, a C15 3-light window with 4-centred arched
head. 4-bay nave has hipped roof behind parapet with coped gables and
crosses. On each side, 4 hollow chamfered round headed double lancets
with hood moulds. Buttressed west end has a central Geometrical triple
lancet with hood mould, and above it an empty niche. Angle buttressed 3-
bay aisles have chamfered plinths and coped parapets. Each has above
the doorway a segmental pointed double lancet, flanked by single mid C14
triple lancets with segmental pointed heads. All the windows have hood
moulds. Diagonally buttressed and parapeted north transept has to north
and to east a triple lancet with Tudor arched head and hood mould. In
the northern angle, a C19 canted parapeted stair turret. 3-bay
chancel,C14 and C15, has string course, coped parapet and gable with
cross. 2 diagonal buttresses to east, 2 to north,and a single central one
to south. North side has a central C15 triple lancet with segmental head
and hood mould, flanked to left by a Tudor arched doorway with decorated
spandrels, hood mould, and a beaded C18 plank door. East end has a
stepped sill band and a C15 panel-traceried triple lancet with segmental
pointed head and hood mould. South side has to left a C15 flat headed
triple window and to right a blocked C13 lancet. Both have hood moulds.
Restored C14 south porch has sill band and coped gable with gabled
kneelers. Plain moulded doorway with hood mould. South side has a
chamfered single lancet. Interior has 2 stone benches, scissor braced
roof and triple roll-moulded doorway with hood mould. C18 beaded plank
door. C14 4-bay arcades have quatrefoil west piers with stiff leaf
capitals and clustered east piers with moulded capitals. Double hollow
chamfered arches with hood moulds, mask and fleuron stops. Early C19
hipped roof. Aisles have plain and hollow chamfered arches at the east
ends, that to north with a central drop. Both have segmental headed
doorways with hood moulds and restored lean-to roofs, that to south with
moulded tie-beams. North transept has double hollow chamfered arch,
screened off to form vestry, and to south east a moulded rood stair
doorway. Restored hipped low pitched roof with moulded cambered tie-
beams. Tower chamber has to east a C13 piscina and to its right a 4-
centred arched C15 piscina with bracket. Restored roof with chamfered
tie-beam. Chancel has a double hollow chamfered arch containing a
restored late C14 traceried and crested screen. Plain low pitched roof
restored C19 and late C20. Fittings include roll topped stalls and
benches, Gothic desks, oak lectern and octagonal traceried pulpit, all C19.
Octagonal font on round stem with 3 round flanking shafts. Memorials
include limestone chest tomb with shields in lozenge panels and a canopy
with coffered jambs and soffit containing brass figures, crest and
inscription to Laurence Saunders, 1545. Large high quality remodelled
alabaster wall monument, the central panels with facing kneeling family
flanked by shallow niches containing allegorical figures. Above, a crest
flanked by decorated spandrels, to the Saunders family, 1588. Part of a
C16 brass with Arms and inscription. Large pedimented marble and slate
tablet, 1831. Marble war memorial tablet, 1919.


Listing NGR: SP7783880574

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.