History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Royal Horticultural Society New Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in St James's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.495 / 51°29'41"N

Longitude: -0.134 / 0°8'2"W

OS Eastings: 529633

OS Northings: 178987

OS Grid: TQ296789

Mapcode National: GBR GL.28

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.MPJ9

Entry Name: Royal Horticultural Society New Hall

Location: Westminster, London, SW1P

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Locality: St James's

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Listing Date: 24 May 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 209946

Source ID: 1214142

Listing Text

TQ 2978 NE and 2979 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER GREYCOAT STREET, SW1
100/25 ;105/1
24.5.83 Royal Horticultural
society New Hall
__ II*
Exhibition hall. 1923-28 by Murray Easton and Howard Robertson. Brown
brick and stone entrance administrative block behind which is the
innovatory concrete framed exhibition hall with brick infill. The
forebuilding has an early stripped-classical modern facade. 5 storeys
including mezzanines to 1st and 4th floors. 6-window wide centre between
slightly advanced end bays. Ground floor of centre, with range of glazed
doorways at head of steps and mezzanine above, are advanced in segmental
curve and are both stone faced. The brick faced stone banded upper floors
have plain stone surrounds to range of windows with metal casements. Block
cornice finishes off front above top mezzanine. The hall behind has blind
side walls above which are 4 tiers of stepped-back clerestories. The
interior exposes the structural reinforced concrete frame of tall parabolic
arches which begin as square piers; flat roofed top-lit aisles,
clerestories and domed top lights; 3 tall lights with 2 transoms in north
east end wall. No doubt Easton was more particularly responsible for the
introduction of this form of construction, the first of its kind in
Britain, derived from Scandinavian timber construction of the early 1920s-
Max Berg's 1922 exhibition pavilion at Breslau and more particularly the
reinforced concrete work of Hennebique and Freyssinet (Orly airship hangars
1921 etc.)


Listing NGR: TQ2963378987

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.