History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Benedict

A Grade II Listed Building in Wood Enderby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1591 / 53°9'32"N

Longitude: -0.0967 / 0°5'48"W

OS Eastings: 527356

OS Northings: 364133

OS Grid: TF273641

Mapcode National: GBR JT2.SH5

Mapcode Global: WHHKQ.HV5J

Entry Name: Church of St Benedict

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1215328

English Heritage Legacy ID: 400497

Location: Wood Enderby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE22

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Parish: Wood Enderby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Mareham le Fen St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Listing Text

TF 26 SE WOOD ENDERBY CHURCH LANE
(north side)

3/89 Church of
14.9.66 St. Benedict

- II


Parish church, now closed and used as store. 1860 with some re-
used work by Mr. Hackford. Squared and coursed limestone and
greenstone rubble. Slate roofs. Western tower, and spike, nave,
north aisle, chancel, vestry. 2 stage tower with set back
buttresses, having broach spire in Early English style with 2
tiers of lucarnes. To the west a 3 light geometric window and in
the upper stage are single lancets to all 4 sides. Greenstone
north aisle has 3 triple cusped headed lights, the westernmost
being a re-used C14 piece. Vestry has single light. In the
north wall of the chancel is a cusped 2 light window and a
matching triple reticulated light in the east wall. There are a
2 light window in the north wall of the chancel and 3 two light
windows in the nade with plate tracery. The south door in the
tower is pointed and has side shafts with rib moulded head.
Interior has 3 bay north arcade with double chamfered round
arches and octagonal piers. Church contains an architectural
fragment of a pillar piscina fluted capital.


Listing NGR: TF2735664133

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.