This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3905 / 50°23'25"N
Longitude: -3.7113 / 3°42'40"W
OS Eastings: 278448
OS Northings: 55915
OS Grid: SX784559
Mapcode National: GBR QL.PS9K
Mapcode Global: FRA 3830.HY9
Entry Name: Zion Chapel
Listing Date: 26 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1216210
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101356
Location: Harberton, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Harberton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Harbertonford St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Nonconformist chapel. Circa 1799. Slate rubble and local metamorphic
stone rubble. Slate hung from just above window cill level on south and
west sides only. Hipped roof with cement slurried scantle slates.
Plan: Rectangular plan on a north-south axis with entrance at the south
end below the gallery which is entered by external stairs on west side.
Built high above lane which is in deep cutting on east side. The rostrum
is at the north end. Situated in a small burial ground.
Exterior: Two pointed arch windows on east and west sides of two lights
with Y-tracery bars. The windows on east side have red brick arches.
External stone rubble steps with slate treads to gallery doorway to right
of west side, with pointed arch and plank door with Y-tracery cover moulds.
Doorway at south end with straight head double flush panel doors and slated
wooden canopy on shaped brackets. Small oculus above with radiating
spider-web tracery. Similar oculus on north end.
Interior: (28 feet by 17.5 feet) is simply plastered with flat ceiling and
matchboarded dado. Gallery at the south end on pair of thin columns;
gallery front panelled and with moulded architrave and cornice. The back
of the gallery is partitioned off to form vestry, with doorway at centre
with cornice on console brackets set on this shafts supported on a second
pair of consoles. Fragments of original seating in the gallery. The
simple rostrum at the north end appears to be later C19 but the front has a
small board inscribed 'Zion Chapel 1799' and the dado panelling behind the
rostrum might be original. The C19 portable benches are of pleasingly
The earliest monument in the burial ground appears to be a tomb chest to
Thomas Goodman 1833, the pastor.
The chapel was built in 1799 for a Baptist Congregation but now serves a
It is a good and largely complete example of a small Georgian nonconformist
chapel with an unusual external gallery stairs.
Source: C Stell, draft for RCHM inventory of non-conformist chapels.
Listing NGR: SX7844855915
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings